AutoCAD Utility Design Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Utility Design Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Utility Design topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Explorer

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
RichardChappell
1444 Views, 4 Replies

Project Explorer

I'm interested in understanding how other customers are using the project explorer - particularly sharing it throughout your design organization. Does anyone have a particularly successful process set up?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Richard,
We have five planners using a common Access database on our sever interfaced through Project Explorer.
I feel it does have some limitations but it is functioning.

Terry Schumacher
City of Redding, Ca.
Message 3 of 5
rrebich
in reply to: RichardChappell

Hi Richard,

We have an interface to our Work Management System (Passport) that allows users to retrieve information as well as pass information back.

Once a user has created a Work Order in Passport, that WO can be "created" in AUD as a dwg file and the design process can commence.

We run AUD locally on each user's machine. Consequently, each user only has access to their own database and design work. This helps to maintain the integrity of the WO (i.e. one user can't accidently push information into someone else's WO).

We have created some custom tools to move work from one designer's machine to another as needed.

Hope this helps,

Ross
Message 4 of 5
jpab

Hi Richard,
I have seen several companies use Project Explorer (PE) as their means to get data from their users either to use in the job drawing or to export to a database, others have PE set up to be mostly read only and they have a method to down load data as required. This allows the users to just view the information needed to recognize the job and put the required information in to the job drawing so the user doesn't have to reenter the data.

Jim Bower
Message 5 of 5
jpab

Richard,

I have added a document showing some of the functions that Project Explorer can do.
I don’t think that all of these functions have been documented in the AUD help files,
But as far as I know they all currently work in AUD2006.

If you have any questions about what Project Explorer or AUD can do, you might want to touch base with either Karen Andrews of Autodesk (karen.andrews@autodesk.com) or John Yetter of Spatial Network Solutions johnyetter@spatialnet.net)

Outside of the current users they probably know more about AUD then any one else. Both of them have
worked with AUD and its predecessor UDS for a number of years.

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New Utility Design Category!

The Utility Design forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.