The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)
Non-technical discussions will be held here to give community members a chance to connect and get to know one another.

The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 21 of 55 (935 Views)

Re: What's your favourite ACAD prank?

01-24-2013 09:26 AM in reply to: Wanderer-MOTD

There was DOS based Acad in High School?

Dang, why did I use that drafting machine?!

:smileyvery-happy:

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 22 of 55 (928 Views)

01-24-2013 10:03 AM in reply to: Wanderer-MOTD

Sowing your age? :smileylol: I remember doing that in DOS based AutoCAD, probably R10±, where I'm working now! In High School drafting was pens, triangle and Leroy sets. Computer programming class was FORTRAN on Hollerith [key-punch] cards.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 23 of 55 (926 Views)

01-24-2013 10:04 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

You had a machine?  It was tee-squares & set-squares for us.  And that's not showing my age, since I'd hazard a guess that it's still the same in my old school.  My first CAD was on the job, work experience.  I believe it was 2000.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 24 of 55 (920 Views)

01-24-2013 10:10 AM in reply to: troma

I don't know about High School. But our local community college still offers a class in Softdesk 8!

Distinguished Contributor
Wanderer-MOTD
Message 25 of 55 (913 Views)

01-24-2013 11:30 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

The community college I went to phased out all paper drafting the year before I started there (1999?).

I sort of disagree with that. I think the time I spent laying out paper drawings in high school helped me understand scale and layout. I come across people even now who don't understand fully how to scale a drawing. Unreal.

lol... we actually had one instructor who made us spend the first half of the semester drawing by hand. We had to move the computers to the backs of the tiny desks and draw on 11x17 sheets. I think that was a mechanical class. A lot of the guys who'd been doing okay with CAD just fell down flat during those tasks, so, I'm sure they benefited greatly.

Don't get me wrong, I stopped paper drafting in high school as soon as I could. Complaining that the drafting machines were right-handed and it was discrimination, and it would be far more ergonomic if I was at a PC instead of trying to work around those ill-fitted machine. :smileytongue: I was a bit of a teacher's pest, lol. He gave in.

Not only did I get to CAD more than just about anyone else, I also took a design course with the same guy and myself and another girl were allowed to use the only machine with 3ds Max on it. Hooboy was THAT A learning curve after using R10 and R12, lol. That was also the first class I ever did html in. That was really a great course, well-rounded.

Melanie Perry
***not all those who wander are lost***
http://AUGI.com/Surveys
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

My defunct profiles:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/651859
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/644095
Distinguished Contributor
Light_Guy
Message 26 of 55 (906 Views)

01-24-2013 11:44 AM in reply to: troma

First CAD I saw was R10 and that was in College in 1990. High school was purely hand drafting, NO machines, just triangles and t-squares. College was only the 1 class - CAD Drafting 152 I think it was. All the other classes were paper with the occasional option to use CAD.
I agree 100% Wanderer! You need that hand drafing to get a firm understanding of the basics of drafting. Scale, line weights, etc. Too bad the schools don't realize it though. Most of the kids that come in here now need a LOT of teaching!!!

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 27 of 55 (904 Views)

01-24-2013 12:08 PM in reply to: troma

This one goes back to ACAD 10.  I was working with a contractor who was not very computer savvy.  He thought he was a manly man, so he was making fun of the fact that the shirt I was wearing had a pink stripe running through it.  Real men don't wear pink you see.  So after he left that night, I messed with his computer a bit.  In those days, we were using a batch file that had our PC's boot up right into Acad.  So I went into his Acad setup and changed all of the screen colors to bright pink.  Next morning when he turned on his computer all he got was a bright pink screen.  He freaked out, thought he had broken it somehow.  I let him suffer a little while before I fixed the colors for him.  :smileyvery-happy:

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 28 of 55 (895 Views)

01-24-2013 01:42 PM in reply to: troma

That machine was the only one in the classroom and I was the "chosen" one to use it. Did a drawing totally in ink with it. nerve racking as I recall.

Still have my first mechanical pencil, K&E compass set, T-square etc...

The treasures of days gone by.

R10 as well.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 29 of 55 (882 Views)

01-25-2013 06:42 AM in reply to: troma

I haven't done this since I was in school.  But it's my favorite.

Our school had one large CAD classroom with about 30 computers set up in it in 4 rows.  Two rows faced the opposing walls and the other two rows each faced each other.   The instructor had a whiteboard at the front of the room meaning anyone at their desk/computer turned to their left or right to see the board.  Ok now that you can picture the layout, for the two rows that faced each other:

I took the mouse from one computer and switched it with the mouse that belonged to the user facing you.  Then I took his mouse switched it with your neighbor.  The neighbor's mouse went to the person facing him and that person's mouse went to you.  This went on all down the two rows of computers.

I did similar with the keyboards--but with from/to different users.

Of course, I showed up to class quite early for that one. 

You should have seen the chaos!  :smileyhappy:

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoLISP, VB and other AutoCAD customization

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 30 of 55 (880 Views)

01-25-2013 06:53 AM in reply to: troma

Here's another one from way back in my school days.  :smileyhappy:

After earning my CAD degree, I stuck around for a second degree in computer mgmt.  I had really begun to understand the intracacies of how our network was setup.

The administrator had created a batch file called CM.bat which brought up the "CAD Menu".  And he also had a batch file called win.bat which configured a few things before starting Win 3.x.

Well one day I was in the computer lab working on my project.  A cad student who had still been in there left and when I was ready to leave 30 min later, he hadn't returned.  We were all told to never leave without logging off.  I decided to give him a reminder of the importance of logging off.  :smileyhappy:

I marked ALL of his files and directories as hidden.  Then I created two batch files in his home folder (and marked both as hidden as well):  cm.bat and win.bat.  Both of them flashed a message to the screen ("You forgot to logout on xx/xx/xx") and a pause.  After the pause the appropriate batch file would run (cm.bat or win.bat as created by the network admin).

The next time he logged in, he saw my message and then couldn't find his files.  Boy was he relieved when the administrator tried to restore them from backup tape for him and found that they were already there (but hidden).  Bet he never forgot to logoff again.  :smileyhappy: 

That was also the last time I did that.  The network admin was also my comp mgmt instructor and I'm sure he knew it was me.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoLISP, VB and other AutoCAD customization

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.