Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's for Christmas Day Dinner (or Lunch)?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
pendean
770 Views, 16 Replies

What's for Christmas Day Dinner (or Lunch)?

Are you a Turkey/Stuffing/Dressing family?

Ham and fixin's?

Chinese Food?

Or something else?

Do tell....

We end up at my in-laws, so it's Turkey/Dressing/Ham-loaf Lunch feast for the whole gang.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
rkmcswain
in reply to: pendean

It's SE Texas, so.... Mexican food.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 17

I mix it up every year. There aren't a lot of ham fans in the family, so I don't do that often. My Mom doesn't like fish, plus I've got an iodine sensitivity anyway so need to avoid it when I can, so fish is off the menu. I hate the feel of raw poultry so rarely do turkey either.

Usually some take on pork, because I like that. Pork shoulder, pork fingers, orange pork loin (everyone in my family, including my husband always claimed they hated pork... but, that was long before they had it cooked by me, now they all LOVE it).

Sometimes a pot roast.

I was planning on smoking some ribs and doing a bacon-wrapped meatloaf. But, turns out, my sister and her boyfriend won't be coming on Christmas day, so I'm just going to do the meatloaf.

(for Thanksgiving, I did the meatloaf, plus a stuffed pork loin, but, that's a bit of work on my part and I'm trying to spread out the cooking times.)

Maybe one year we'll do a Mexican themed meal, or a bland british/irish theme 😉 bangers and tatties. 😜 That would be a fun departure from tradition.

I would say a far-east theme would be good, too, but, again, my Mom is SUPER picky about food and she'd never be down with any of the fare I typically do.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 17
cbenner

We always go non traditional since it's just the three of us.  We've done mexican (burritos, quesadillas, rice n beans etc). subs, steak and lobster, and even just had a pile of hot and cold finger type foods to munch on throughout the day.  This year it's lasagna.  Daughter has to work in the middle of the day so that throws off our schedule (such as it is) a bit.  We usually have a big bacon and egg breakfast in the morning as well.

Christmas Eve I try to have something in the crock pot for when we get home from Mass since we're there so long and we're starving by the time we get home.  (2 hours of singing works up an appetite!).  This year I've got my nearly world famous meatballs (beef, pork and rice) and cheesy potatoes.

Merry Christmas to all you fine people!

Message 5 of 17
Murph_Map

Growing up it was always turkey and stuffings with all the fixings. Now it's ham some years and turkey some years. This year it's ham and light snacks with no really big dinner, just snack thru out the day watching movies and visits from family.  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 17

Ooooh, lots of fun options there. I like the idea of hot and cold finger foods, too.

I floated the idea over my delicious meatloaf (as long as I had my oven on and my hands dirty, I cooked 5 bacon-wrapped meatloaves... two were eaten or sent home as leftovers, and the rest are weeknight meals for my boys cause I'm took tired and time-crunched to cook after I get home from my commute) and we decided that next we'll do a mexican style.

I was thinking tacos, burritos and maybe nachos. Mom requested chimichangas, though... darn her. I HATE frying food. Blerch.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 7 of 17

I always wonder how do people who celebrate 25th feast 31st? Is it a big holiday too? With a lot of presents and a rich dinner? Or just a little family holiday? Could you tell me please?

Message 8 of 17

We don't typically do much on New Year's. We tend to stay home or visit with neighbors. So, maybe fingerfoods, light snacks.

Some people also have a tradition of toasting with champagne or grape juice at midnight, but, in our house, we toast with Irish Coffee.

There are some superstitions and traditions out there, but, I do not really know many people who follow them.
http://voices.yahoo.com/new-years-day-food-traditions-superstitions-5180725.html
🙂

Melanie Stone
Message 9 of 17
cbenner
in reply to: Nata_ly

We used to have, or go to, a large party on New Years Eve.  Just to celebrate the new beginning of a new year.  Never a huge feast though, just pizza and snack foods and a lot of alcohol.

Those days have come and gone.  The last few years we have spent New Years Eve with close freinds, wathcing a movie and then waiting for the ball to drop in Times Square.  We do have a champagne toast at midnight, and (wife's tradition... Polish in origin I believe), we eat a piece of pickled or creamed herring.  It is supposed to bring you good luck in the new year,... but I think it just tastes bad and gives me stinky breath.  LOL

Here's to a great 2014!!

Message 10 of 17
Charles_Shade

Movie and then Chinese in honor of a Christmas Story.

Though we have never done the duck...

Message 11 of 17

Our friends ended up backing out, so it was just the family on NYE.

My DH didn't feel like making the irish coffees, so, we passed on that.

I was going to cook some seafood, but, I was tired, too, so he picked up pizza.

Kids didn't make it to midnight.

Hubby and I barely did. We didn't even bother watching the ball drop. lol. We're so old and boring.

On the 1st, we did have some irish coffee and wonderful seafood, though. Nom.

Oh, and my sister commented about my lack of turkey cooking on thanksgiving, I delicately hinted that, if she wanted it, she could feel free to cook it, she's all 'sure'. 😉 We'll see how that works out.

Melanie Stone
Message 12 of 17

Oh, thank you all for the answers! It's so interesting and different to my New Year. In my town it's a big feast with all-round celebration (not parade or smth like this but many hand-made toys fairs, sales everywere and garlanded public transport). People like me and older prefer to spend this evening in the bosom of their's family; younger conversely try to go somewere with a noisy crew. But maybe everybody cooks as much different food as he/she is able to afford. And then you eat this salads and chicken all next week. It's very exhausting. 😞

Message 13 of 17

That sounds like a lot of fun, and variety for everyone.

Some good friends of ours host a game night with a lot of varied food, and, then go ice skating the next day.

Others like to rent a hotel room downtown to go to all of the clubs and parties there. That's never been my scene, though, I do not like crowds and noise.

Melanie Stone
Message 14 of 17

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
That's never been my scene, though, I do not like crowds and noise.....

...says the 10 year AU veteran  Smiley Wink

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 15 of 17

Erm... 12, actually.

It wasn't that crowded my first few.
😄

Melanie Stone
Message 16 of 17

I'm a traditional person, so for Christmas dinner I had roast turkey with sage and onion stuffing and cranberry sauce. Followed by good old fashioned Christmas pudding. I think its important to maintain our culture as its a part of our identity and will ensure these events we celebrate such as Christmas will be maintained for future generations.

It is not that hard to handle or deal with a Pension Tracing Service. You basically require having a particular state of brain to do this correctly. It's not about what you have not attained, or what could probably be hindering you from becoming a success. It's critical you do anything with the information you've just attained so as to attain your aims. As you most likely know, it can be challenging dealing with Unclaimed Pensions, but there are techniques to correctly manage this. Tons of folks could want to learn far more about this, so our Pension Tracing Service might be precisely what you are browsing for. For further information on this topic, you need to have further methods - it is fantastic to know easily offered.
Message 17 of 17
dannieand23

Hi,

I had a special dish for the lunch in that very special day.

I had lobster fry with green chilli souce and chicken bergar and green salad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dannie Anderson

Expert Ruby on Rails Programmer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report