Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you doing right now?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
pendean
973 Views, 27 Replies

What are you doing right now?

... Other than being on this site that is 🙂

I'm at lunch, eating sliced brisket, in a quiet corner staring out the window at cars going by LOL
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Nice.

There is no quiet around here, also no lunch breaks.

I'm about to slip off for a 'smoke break' though. I need a little break.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 28
graemev
in reply to: pendean

... As little as I can get away with.

We're having one of those rare, "everything is in someone else's court" days.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous

Trying to get some work done while we are having an "Open House" for all our clients and customers.

Working in an open office enviroment and the salesmen are "talking" (More like shouting) all around the office.

Demonstrating alarm systems with sirens going off every minute... Very productive day..

Edit: On top of that I get people walking up behind me wondering what I'm doing while the salesmen introduce me slightly as a the "drafting department".

Message 5 of 28
Mistress0fTheDorkness
in reply to: Anonymous

:lol: Nice. BTDT.

I've got a bunch of people discussing market fluctuations around me (commercial rental market that is). It's being occasionally peppered with references to reality tv and weight watchers points and shopping. In other words, all very loud and very boring.

I'm reworking my group's processes and procedures manual.
I've got an entry of my own to update (a process my manager evidently stopped doing awhile ago and I noticed someone better do it because it's leaving holes in my system and the other manager won't, so I will), but, my goodness this could be organized better.

Anyway, when people walk by, either I'm just introduced as 'IT' or, if I happen to be slapping together a proposed layout in autocad, people watch... like I'm a trained monkey juggling something shiny.
Really? What's entertaining about seeing that?

Amusing.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous

I just getting going..having coffee and contemplating the weekend since its Friday...I have to add a port to our Horizontal Test Cryostat model and detail this, meet with a physicist about the Linac Gun that needs some work, and try not to fall asleep at my desk..again..haha..Luckily I get out at 2:30 today..

Oh, Since classes will be over in a few weeks, I am also thinking about an upcoming trip to someplace warm..like Columbia, or Costa Rica...I am going to throw a dart at a map, and the closest place is where Im going..Knowing my luck, I will aim for Brazil, and hit someplace like the Ukraine..lol

(Sorta like Sheldon when he gives up his choices to rolls of the dice..lol..." I have to go to the bathroom...."...(rolls dice)..."Oh wait,,no I dont."...lol.)

My boss, on the other hand is upgrading 70 PCs to Inventor 2015 starting this afternoon..He is already pulling his hair out..lol..

Message 7 of 28
AllenJessup

Trying to recover from the work I did over the weekend while trying to whip a very old fairly badly done base map in to shape. Smiley Sad

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Drawing check templates for curved aluminum extrusion and programming the waterjet to cut them out of plywood. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 28
AllenJessup

Whiling away the time until the Christmas party starts.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 28

Our christmas party starts at noon... I'm going to kill some time at a blood drive at 11.

Unless I scratch off the lotto tickets my boss just gave me & win millions... then I'll be hitting the door running and let them keep my macaroni pan.

Melanie Stone
Message 11 of 28

Trying to reverse engineer a custom gear of non-standard diametral pitch made by a company now 10 years out of business.  Oh, joy.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous

Well, today,  I am just getting started..I actually have to work in AUTOCAD today..(shudder)....I havent dont this in awhile...Inventor has spoiled me..haha..

Aside from that, I am on cruise control until Wednesday afternoon when my break begins..I have 11 (paid) days off..(YEEEHAAAWWWW)...thank you University Policy number 19406.543,2424 Revision B,,hahaha

Also have a very sick dog at home, and the Vet doesnt expect her to last alot longer...Then theres relationship issues, moving into a new place, some interesting job developments, visiting some friends over the holidays, yadda yadda yadda....Who says the holidays arent stressful, huh?...I think on Christmas Eve, after work I am going to the liquor store, buying a bottle of decent vodka and getting hammered...will probably take me until after New Years to recover...sigh..

Message 13 of 28
Mistress0fTheDorkness

Yeah, my husband is giving me guff for not taking time off over the holiday.
He's got a pretty light workload right now (he does contract work from home), and knows all the rich people I work with are off to exotic places this week and/or next.

Alas, this is america and we don't start with too many days off, even in a good company, so I've only got 2 days left of this year's allotment... and I've got this stupid disney vacation with the in-laws next spring that's going to take all my time off, so I'm going to have to work remotely while I'm attending AU next fall (again! had to do this two years ago and it really puts a damper on the event).

That said, I'm sure my future BIL will bring me a nice bottle of something on Christmas, just in case I need it.

Melanie Stone
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Mistress0fTheDorkness

Hey..I'm in the US too...lol...I have worked at a few places that close
down between Christmas and new years..sort of a forced vacation...like I
need to be forced..lol..."hey Matt..take the holidays off..we will pay you
too..."..."ummm...I can't I have this project...."...."we demand you take
time off....."...".....weeelllll, if you insist......"...hahaha.....
Message 15 of 28
AllenJessup

I just got out of a meeting regarding a Park & Ride lot. There seems to be as much fuss about this parking lot as about a $30M road project!

Our road maintenance division has a forced shut down for the first 2 weeks of July. Only a skeleton crew comes in. We don't have that in Engineering. I try to plan my vacations for June, before the schools let out.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 28
Mistress0fTheDorkness

That's nice, I guess, lol.

I previously worked in a hospital which is obviously open 365, so I was in most bank holidays, and saved the time off to use when when I wanted to. That freedom was nice (though I was technically on-call all the time, it was rare an emergency warranted it).

Now I work for a bank/brokerage, so, we're shut down on all of the bank holidays (unless I have system upgrades I have to push, but, I do that from home), but, not any days surrounding... the folks who invest with us kinda want to talk turkey when they're off of work and have the time to devote to their finances.

I feel bad for all of our maintenance and moving folks, because while a lot of people are out for the holidays, they're in here trying to get as much work done as possible, so they don't disrupt the workers, so they really don't have the opportunity to take any extended time off.

Melanie Stone
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Mistress0fTheDorkness

Yeah..I did the banking thing for awhile too..I was a building engineer for a large bank in NYC for a few years..Working holidays was nice because it was double time and a half, and there was always someone who wanted off...lol..Essentially, we just had to be there if something broke, which was rare.

Now I just take the time off as offered...The university shuts down, since all the students are off, and the accelerators are shut down. its so strange being on a campus this big and not see a soul around..lol

Message 18 of 28
Mistress0fTheDorkness

That's nice. I got a decent shift differential at the hospital when I worked holidays.

lol, I know what you mean about the empty campus. Ours was kind of divided between in-patient and out-patient halves. I always liked working on the out-patient side on holidays, because it was so empty and quiet with all of the clinics and doctor's offices closed, strange for buildings so large and normally so bustling... and our gerbil tubes (sorry, pedestrian walkways) took us through the medical school buildings, too, which were nice and quiet those days as well.

Friday here will be crypt-like, I'm certain.
I see 7 people scheduled off, out of the 12 in my group.

Hmm, our 3 PM's, the new admin and me. lol.
Easy-peasy, all of my most high-maintenance users will be out.

Melanie Stone
Message 19 of 28
graemev

"... going to the liquor store, buying a bottle of decent vodka..."

Skip the vodka and get a nice bottle of scotch.  Something old enough to vote should do.

Message 20 of 28

:lol: That sounds pretty nice.

Back when my husband and I were dating, he confessed he hadn't asked me out sooner, because he didn't want to be a 'dirty old man' (he's only 10 years my senior). I did give him guff about it afterward (still do, aamof), especially one time I was accompanying him on a trip and pointed out the bottle of whiskey we were sharing with his friends was older than me. :lol:

My family is (unexpectedly) coming over this afternoon instead of tomorrow, so I'll be cracking mine open early. I don't blame my BIL, so I'll share a few with him. lol.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report