Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This will make some of you feel Old.

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
CelticDesignServices
1201 Views, 48 Replies

This will make some of you feel Old.

This Sunday, March 24th Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon was released 40 years ago.

Yes, that's 4-0, 1973 to be exact.

How many of us recall when that album came out?

Can you believe it was 40 freakin years ago?!

Ya think anyone will still be listening to Bieber, Lil Wayne, or any of these other talentless hacks that pass as music today some 40 odd years from now?

D@mn, I am old.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49

One of my favorites is The Yes Album (1971)

Yes was introduced in 1969

(Though I found them a little later - 1978.)

Message 3 of 49
cbenner
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I was listening to my Queen playlist on Spotify they ther day,.. Queen's first album hit in '73.  For me though, the pinnacle of rock and roll was the mid 70's, before that disco .... stuff, hit.  Queen, Kansas, Foreigner, Journey, Foghat, Seger, REO... and Boston!  The single best R&R song ever:  Foreplay/Longtime.

Message 4 of 49

My birthday's in about a week, and I've been feeling kind of old...

Now? Not so much. Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 5 of 49

CelticDesignServices wrote:

"This Sunday, March 24th Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon was released 40 years ago.

Yes, that's 4-0, 1973 to be exact.

How many of us recall when that album came out?

Can you believe it was 40 freakin years ago?!

Ya think anyone will still be listening to Bieber, Lil Wayne, or any of these other talentless hacks that pass as music today some 40 odd years from now?

D@mn, I am old."

I'm 1983 so it's got me by 10 years, but I listen to (and attempt to play) a decent amount of Pink Floyd. Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it? Smiley Wink

"Ticking away, the moments the make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand waa-ee-aay..."

- opening lyrics from "Time" from the aforementioned album

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 49

I really truly honestly hope we aren't still listening to Bieber and all that other horrible stuff in 40 years. I might have been born in '87 but I'm almost always listening to music from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

And now I feel like the little kid around here. Smiley Embarassed

Jillian Bejtlich
Forum Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 49

Jillian.Bejtlich wrote:

"I really truly honestly hope we aren't still listening to Bieber and all that other horrible stuff in 40 years. I might have been born in '87 but I'm almost always listening to music from the 70's, 80's and 90's...."

Actually, I don't think that'll be the case in these times of instant gratification. The songs today become hits so fast, but then disappear when the next one comes along - people are quick to pursue their new fixation. Listening to the radio, most of the early songs of these artists have faded into near obscurity while the current songs are mercilessly played over and over again. I would compare the classics songs to modern ones as if comparing a candle to a firecracker. The new artists are constantly pumping out songs to keep the short attention span of the modern-day listener. Oooh - something shiny! ~wanders off~

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 49
Charles_Shade
in reply to: cbenner

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding...

Interstate Love Song...

Close to the Edge...

Message 9 of 49
cbenner
in reply to: Charles_Shade
Message 10 of 49
Charles_Shade
in reply to: cbenner
Message 11 of 49
troma
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The sun is the same, in a relative way, but you're older.

Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death!

I'm gonna have to put my headphones on and indulge myself!

(Born in '85, so I feel young just thinking that some here remember it being released!)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 12 of 49

Ah the music of the 70's! My mp3 player is LOADED with it - Floyd, Zepplin, Kansas, Queen, Foreigner, Van Halen, all the Southern Rock bands - Almond Bros, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, Skynard....Once disco hit, music started a fast down hill run until we got where we are today - mindless idiots, many re-making hits because they can't write their own....sad, truly sad. HOLY CRAP has it really been 40 years?? Where's the OLD emoticon??Smiley Mad

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 13 of 49
cbenner
in reply to: Light_Guy

Wait... Almond Brothers?  Is that an autocorrect?  Smiley Wink  I love the southern fried stuff too.  Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, Atlanta Rhythm Section... listening to some Dickey Betts and Great Southern right now. 

Message 14 of 49

Dang it! You beat me to the "Almond Brothers" comment....;)

I never cared for southern rock, mainly due to the radio stations in my area overplaying the stuff, like green grass and high tides, train train, freebird, etc. If you listen to Howard Stern like I do, you know all about how often his old station in Hartford, CT, WCCC played southern rock like they were in Jacksonville, FL as opposed to CT. They took the phrase of "Southern New England's best rock" too literally on the "southern" part.

DSOTM was my very first album I ever bought and was blown away by the sound quality when I listened on headphones (what other way is there to listen to Floyd?). Problem is today's mp3's lack soooo much as far as sound quality it's almost not worth listening to unless I have the CD's.....you do know that mp3's only retain about 5% of the studio sound quality right? CD's retain about 20-30%...high quality vinyl (180 gram) retains about 60-70% until it gets worn out from playback...;)

And if you've ever seen Floyd in concert....OMG! You'll be completely spoiled by the sound quality and all other bands will pale in comparison. Roger Waters just won a bunch of awards for sound quality during his last Wall tour and he's more about the theatrics, wait until David Gilmour tours, then you'll really hear something...but I digress.

Of the worst sound I've ever heard from a live show....Blackfoot and Van Halen are at the tops there.

Moody Blues were pretty bad but that was mainly due to them not knowing which songs they wanted to play.

Yes, Steely Dan, Emerson Lake & Palmer among some of the better shows.

The loudest concert - The Who....until they broke that record a few shows later. I couldn't hear for 3 days.

Now I'm really showing my age.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 15 of 49

Yep, the hazards of eating and typing. I was in the middle of some trail mix and had almonds on the brain it looks like. Sheesh.

It always amazed me how few bands were good live. Even fewer these days. I remember The Stones and Greatful Dead coming in for WEEKENDS and now you hardly ever see or hear of a BIG concert anymore. They see so much of them all over the net I guess they don't care. Does MTV play any music at all now???

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 16 of 49

@Jillian.Bejtlich wrote:

I really truly honestly hope we aren't still listening to Bieber and all that other horrible stuff in 40 years. I might have been born in '87 but I'm almost always listening to music from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

And now I feel like the little kid around here. Smiley Embarassed

lol... you'll get over that sensation soon enough, trust me. I felt like the baby around here for awhile, but, now, in this one thread alone are three people younger than me, eep (although, not by that much, just sayin Smiley Tongue ).

I'm with you, though. There is plenty of stuff I listen to that my parents and grandparents like as well. I don't remember any of the music from the 80's, but, I do have my "MTV Party to Go" cd's that my big sister handed down to me from the 90's... and not a whole lot of those tunes have made it to my iPod.

I still have my favorites from my high school days, anything punk or industrial, and a couple artists like Lauryn Hill, but, not much of the pop-y stuff. Most of my playlist is much older stuff.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 17 of 49

Paul,

Growing up in CT, I was in the prime spot to see bands like those mentioned stop in for a show between NYC and Boston.  It wasn't a far stretch to see bands like Van Halen, Yes and the Stones in the same week.

Speaking of the Stones, I enjoy them a lot but wow, did they suck live when I saw them in Philly for their Steel Wheels tour. Journey and George Thorogood opened for them and they were both far better. Then again, George was a bit of a local boy and I had seen him well over a dozen times.

But one of the best surprizes I got for a show was just happened to stop for a drink after work on a Wednesday night at the Agora Ballroom in Hartford and the band for the night was Soft White Underbelly, billed as a Blue Oyster Cult tribute band....yeah, funny thing was.....it WAS BOC themselves!

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 18 of 49

🙂 you kids are making me feel older than I already was with this thread...I already had kids by the 90's...and I was pushing 30 when my first was born....LOL

But then again, you all missed some really great music. I can't keep my oldest from stealing my Floyd CD's among others.

I'm to the point of now looking in his car before looking in my collection if I want to play anything.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 19 of 49

I saw Pink Floyd in Edmonton, Alberta during their Division Bell tour.  Amazing, with a capital wow!  No opening band, but a 20 minute quadrophonic soundscape before the show.  The lighting alone was worth the price.

Next best in sound?  Rush.  That's a whole lot of sound for only three guys, and boy oh boy can they play their albums note perfect.  (I always thought Neil Peart was using overdubs to record his drum solos.  Finally saw them live.  By gum if he wasn't hitting everything I was hearing... frenetically.)

Message 20 of 49

I have been looking all over in hopes of finding that "soundscape" from their shows, wasn't that amazing? I try to describe it but it does no justice. Did they open with Echoes or Shine ON for your show?

They opened with Shine On when I saw the Momentary Lapse tour and Echoes for the Division Bell tour.

Yes, Rush is something to see live for sure.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report