Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things that make you go, "Hmm."

141 REPLIES 141
Message 1 of 142
graemev
2267 Views, 141 Replies

Things that make you go, "Hmm."

Why do careless, carefree, and uncaring not mean the same thing?

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

If an orange tree was to be grown on an aircraft carrier, would it produce naval oranges?

141 REPLIES 141
Message 21 of 142

Yeah, a few years ago I heard about a local company who got sued because some idiot walked under one of the automobile gates in one of it's parking lots and the gate came down and hit them on the head. 😕

Really? How the **** is a company supposed to protect against hopeless morons like that?
I never heard the outcome.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 22 of 142
CADiva
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

This I read on a candy bar wrapper recently (bear in mind it was a Snickers or some such obviously peanut-containing product) -- "Warning: this product was made on equipment that may have been used to process peanuts..."

I think my favorite is still the company that got in trouble for not having "contains peanuts" on a bag of peanuts.

Message 23 of 142
cbenner
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Or how about the people that sued McDonald's because thier coffee was too hot when they spilled in themselves because they had it sitting between thier legs while driving!

Message 24 of 142
dgorsman
in reply to: hwalker

"Obtuse" is the better variation on "thick".  "Mental rotundity" might be the best term of all though...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 25 of 142

Yeah, I always think of that one, too.
Whom do they sue when they make their own coffee at home and spill it on themselves?

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 26 of 142

Well for that you get can get the:

Power Company: Electricity boiled the water

Mr. Coffee: After all they are the reason you make it at home.

The mug manufacturer: The cup did not have a warning that it may contain hot liquids.

The coffee manufacturer: The reason you have this addiction.

If you slipped: Mop-N-Glo

Maybe you read something moronic in the paper and had to guffaw: Lord knows there is plenty of that to print.

Message 27 of 142
hwalker

And if you don't have Mr Coffee. The company which made the kettle (yeah I know it's old fashioned) for not warning you that the contents could scold you (yeah the water bubbles out the words "You naughty boy I'm really hot so be careful")

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 28 of 142

The parents and the school system for making them so stupid.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 29 of 142

"Really? How the **** is a company supposed to protect against hopeless morons like that?"

Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Message 30 of 142
Charles_Shade
in reply to: graemev

@graemev wrote:

Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Which is why I cannot wait for the insurance industry's push for home sprinkler systems to come to fruition.

Watch what happens when you give a million homeowners another system that they will not maintain and can screw up.

Oh and the lawsuits that come when someone dies in a sprinklered home.

Message 31 of 142
dgorsman

Just the other week we had somebody moving furniture (without notifiying property management, setting up the elevator, etc.) and knocked off a sprinkler head just outside the elevator on the 14th floor.  Flooded the floor and cascaded down the elevator shaft.  And thats in a building with *professional* property management.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 32 of 142

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

But, I've got one that's worse. (probably a few, but, this one's fresh)

Even after being reprimanded for doing so already in another location, someone cuts all the way through a wall without doing an inspection... hitting a HHW line. They could reroute around it, so that service didn't suffer on the upper floors... but, the lower floors were Operating Rooms, including the Sterile Supply room (yeah, the one with ALL of the STERILE surgical instruments for that building).

Needless to say, the company's employees were all immediately removed from the jobsite and will not be allowed to work on anything else for that client (heck, I don't see that GC re-hiring them either... dunno whose insurance had to cover that, but, it was probably the GC.).

Melanie Stone
Message 33 of 142
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Just the other week we had somebody moving furniture (without notifiying property management, setting up the elevator, etc.) and knocked off a sprinkler head just outside the elevator on the 14th floor.  Flooded the floor and cascaded down the elevator shaft.  And thats in a building with *professional* property management.

Posititve to that is all concrete and steel I would presume?

Well likely a good bit of carpet damage too.

Message 34 of 142

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
.... some idiot walked under one of the automobile gates in one of it's parking lots and the gate came down and hit them on the head. 😕
I never heard the outcome.

I'm OK.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 35 of 142

HA!!!

Great... once more, my coworkers are giving me 'that look'.

Melanie Stone
Message 37 of 142

😉 you'd think so...

Melanie Stone
Message 38 of 142
doni49
in reply to: graemev

Why does a restaurant place a sign above the restroom sink reading "Employees must wash hands before returning to work"?  If the person is reading that sign, they're most likely washing their hands.

If the employee needs to be reminded, then place the sign in a location where they will actually SEE it before leaving even if they do not go to the sink -- such as by or near the door.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 39 of 142
doni49
in reply to: doni49

Why are they called "A-PART-ments"?  They're together.

Why is it that you can have two words that describe the EXACT SAME THING but one is considered a "bad word" (profane/vulgar) while the other is perfectly acceptable?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 40 of 142

Hahaha... Nice ones.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report