Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things that make you go, "Hmm."

141 REPLIES 141
Message 1 of 142
graemev
2260 Views, 141 Replies

Things that make you go, "Hmm."

Why do careless, carefree, and uncaring not mean the same thing?

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

If an orange tree was to be grown on an aircraft carrier, would it produce naval oranges?

141 REPLIES 141
Message 2 of 142
dgorsman
in reply to: graemev

Why is it people are overwhelmed or underwhelmed, but never just whelmed?  So why does the spell checker flag underwhelmed but not the other two?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 142
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dgorsman

Why do the terms "Wise Man" and "Wise Guy" hold such different meaning?

Why does the drive-through ATM have brail?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 142
Charles_Shade
in reply to: CoreyDaun

@Anonymous wrote:

Why does the drive-through ATM have brail?

Federal Government: Truly something that makes you go: Hmm...

Message 5 of 142
pendean
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Why do any wall mounted signs have Braille? how is a blind person supposed to know where to reach and touch? I've never come across any blind person with hands on a wall or a building entrance looking for a sign... they simply ask for guidance or direction.
Message 6 of 142

Our signage manager could explain that. She has to mount the signs with braille on them in pretty precise locations according to some established guidelines.

Also, not everyone who reads braille is entirely blind, they might be able to see the color or outline of the sign but have to touch it to know what it says.

Um, of course, my comments might be slightly influenced by working in a medical facility. 😄 ymmv.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 142

That may be true for your line of work and that would make sense 🙂
Message 8 of 142
CoreyDaun

Charles_Shade wrote:
"Federal Government: Truly something that makes you go: Hmm..."

Actually, icon_rolleyes.gif is probably more accurate in that regard.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 142

I'm pretty sure there are minute specifications where and how these items are to be placed.

Just as there are, what?; a dozen rules for how much space to be left next to a door depending on which hand it is and where an adjacent wall is and what side you are entering it from depending on the handing.

Dean you know about those rules.

Message 10 of 142
graemev

"... a dozen rules..."

All of which apply, but are seldom used when it comes to residential construction, or so has been my observation.  *sigh*

Message 11 of 142
Charles_Shade

Actually the IRC does not include that section of code from the IBC in terms of ingress/egress.

Nor could it in any meaningful way. 

Message 12 of 142

Tactile touch interface tablet, something that gives a sensation of or actual physical presence of whats on-screen, such as Braille for letters, raised edges on windows.  Hmmm...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 142
cbenner
Message 14 of 142
pendean
in reply to: cbenner

Why do we laugh when happy, cry when sad, but don't make any sounds when we are excited about something?
Message 15 of 142

LOL, nice.

"But, if you read the paper the next day, it's not news... it's olds"

(summarized from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant)

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 16 of 142
CoreyDaun

How can "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?

Message 17 of 142
troma
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Same reason that the west-atlantic "Tell me about it!" means the same thing as the east-atlantic "Don't tell me about it!"
It's sarcasm.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 18 of 142
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: troma

This I read on a candy bar wrapper recently (bear in mind it was a Snickers or some such obviously peanut-containing product) -- "Warning: this product was made on equipment that may have been used to process peanuts..."

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 19 of 142
hwalker
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Sorry to say this. But why do you Americans need to put obvious notes on EVERYTHING?

I'm not going to mention the word thick (oops), but it seems like that a lot of the time 😄

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 20 of 142
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hwalker

One word: Lawyers

Okay that was too simple: The PEOPLE that allow lawyers to sue companies on their behalf so that the plaintiff can get $25 for their time and the law firm can make $20 million in the settlement.

Blitz gas cans had to shut down because they could not afford to compensate everyone who lit the nozzle of the can on fire and proceeded to use it like a flame thrower and then sued the company because they were burned.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report