Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoking Meat

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
pendean
1623 Views, 40 Replies

Smoking Meat

My new hobby, and dare I say it, addiction.

The Smoker (hardwood charcoal is the fuel, apple wood for smoke this time):

Smoker.jpg

5-pound Brisket is the result (6-hours at 225F):

Brisket.jpg

Left over Brisket, in a Chili of course, this is Texas:

chili.jpg

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
CADiva
in reply to: pendean

My brother-in-law resembles that remark. He's smoked every turkey we've had for Thanksgiving since he bought the smoker.
Message 3 of 41
Murph_Map

I moved up and got an electric smoker this spring, set the temp and timer then go about doing the yard work and/or watching my NASCAR while it smokes. Every once in a while just add some more wood chips. I did a Boston butt roast last week but I enjoy the ribs or whole chicken more.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 41
Charles_Shade

I've got the big egg knockoff for smoking. Pork butts and shoulders for me, we do live near the largest pig production area in the world. Smiley Wink

Though I have to say cooking a nice thick steak off the heat for about an hour or so is the best.

YES - it can be done. Sear it then bake it at low temps. Gracious that's good!

Message 5 of 41
cbenner

18_DUO_1.jpg

This is what I use.  Gas on one side, charcoal on the other.  I can do some smoking on the right, with a rotisserie attachment.  It's not the same as low and slow in a smoker, but I've had pretty satisfactory results with it on pork loin, turkey breast, chicken.... have yet to do a brisket.

Message 6 of 41

Dean, that looks absolutely delicious!

We finally broke in our grill recently. DH decided to go for gas, and he's never tried any smoking yet. But, hopefully I can turn him into an outdoor cooking enthusiast eventually. 😉 (I normally do all of the cooking, but, I hate it in the summer, heating up the kitchen.)

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 41

Two words for summer kitchen heat in the house: Toaster Oven. We could not live without ours.

Indirect Heat for smoking, just make sure the wind is not blowing towards the house when you all start 🙂
Message 8 of 41

True. I'm a big believer in the toaster oven. But, sometimes, it just doesn't quite hack it when cooking for four.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 9 of 41
CADiva

I hope to never have to live w/o a toaster oven again.  As the only person in my household it gets used probably more than any other appliance I own.  (I don't care for microwaved leftovers.)

Message 10 of 41

Doesn't really cut the mustard for baking things like cream cheese danish, either.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 41
pendean
in reply to: CADiva

As empty-nesters, our toaster oven gets a good workout most of the year but especially in the summer. But living in Texas, my charcoal Grill and now smoker are always in use year round too, I have no problems just mellowing out for hours on end tending to them, catching up on my reading, and helping out around here of course 🙂

Now my wife will only bake in the oven: I got treated to a piping hot Apple Pie last night when I got home (and had a slice for breakfast this morning with a tall glass of ice cold milk). I'm smiling.
Message 12 of 41

Very cool.

Unfortunately for my husband (who has an unholy love of all things baked goods), I don't really do much baking of that sort.

Although, I really tickled him last year when a friend gave me a huge amount of apples. I cored them and stuffed them with nuts and raising, then poured a mixture of butter and cinnamon/brown sugar over them and baked them until soft. Sure, he probably would've liked them wrapped in a crust of some sort, but, they disappeared pretty well nonetheless.

Melanie Stone
Message 13 of 41

I saw the thread title and thought someone was putting a rasher of bacon in a rollup

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 14 of 41
pendean
in reply to: hwalker

🙂
Message 15 of 41

@hwalker wrote:

I saw the thread title and thought someone was putting a rasher of bacon in a rollup

Sounds like a good plan to me! 🙂

Melanie Stone
Message 16 of 41
pendean

This past weekend I also smoked my first Pastrami: Montreal Style (skips the boiling process that make Corned Beef first). Delicious warm and even better the next day cold.

Pastrami.jpg

Message 18 of 41
cbenner
in reply to: cbenner

Planning a pork loin on the rotisserie this weekend,  prolly use my Jack Daniel's smoking chips.    My wife asked what I wanted for Father's Day dinner... smoked pork!

Message 19 of 41
pendean
in reply to: cbenner

Dinner at your place 🙂
Message 20 of 41
Nata_ly

Smoking Meat, grilled cheese sandwiches, breakfast tacos... All this topics make me think you are the realy tasty food devotees! And I am totaly in sympathy with it... but this mouthwatering pictures make me dreaming about dinner! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report