Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Day!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Mistress0fTheDorkness
569 Views, 7 Replies

Moving Day!

Tomorrow is moving day for my office.

We're sorta like the canary in the coal mine, if they move us into a building, it's probably on the chopping block and will be demo'd soon.

We did have 8 years in our last building, but, only 5 years in this one (was supposed to only be 2, so no complaints that the demo was delayed), and about 3 in the previous one (but, that was before my time).

Now we're being moved into a building that is almost brand-new, but, it's a 'temp' move for 18-24 months (I won't hold my breath, though ;-p).

It's funny how much has changed in just the time since we've been here. Almost none of us refer to the paper files on our desks, as our peers have become more comfortable with digital communications. I've also run across some fun stuff... a directory printout from when I started (and there was NO filing system on the server), old issues of AUGIWorld and CADalyst and our secretary just found a 2mp camera... 😄 What a riot.

Oh, don't forget the brochures for AutoCAD 2013 that I keep around just for giggles "The most powerful AutoCAD Ever!"

ACHOO! Anyone got a bandaid for all of my paper cuts or a file for all of my broken nails?

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Message 3 of 8

Thanks, Chris!

I took months to pack up my archive room, and that moved last week. The office itself was only like 2 days. Easy peasy. 😜

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 4 of 8

Sounds like you are having fun with it: office moves are a good time to clear out old stuff that just seems to pile up 🙂
Message 5 of 8
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: pendean

You must work for a developer My old boss moved us several times so he could lease out our space, which always seemd to be the ones the lcients wanted. He used to have me do elaborate plans for what furniture would be rearranged where, and then micromanage the move so much that nothing would end up where originally planned! People would get other peoples' desks for example. a lot of times he would be leasing the furniture right out from under us too lol...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 8

Dean,

Yeah, moves don't bother me (except for the archive room, it's always a bit of a hassle... 100 years of blueprints and all that... as I had everything scanned a couple of years back, I hope we can finally break our attachment to paperfiles and put them in an offsite graveyard somewhere during the next move).

Melanie Stone
Message 7 of 8

LOL, Bob, that's pretty bad.

I work for a hospital. And, in the engineering department... we don't get the equipment rooms and shops, because obviously our mechanics need that space. We dont' get the prime real estate because we don't make any money. We're a small group, so we can't be our own cube farm... and, let's face it, putting us social rejects into a cube farm with the mostly female clinical administration folks is just a recipe for disaster of some sort...
So, we squat wherever someone else has been evicted.

We've all got really nice furniture right now, because a doctor had to leave our building being demo'd when his lease was up 5 years ago, so we brought it with us on this move. Heh, we'd never get stuff this nice on our own. (heck, the last move, the Director's desk was a door on top of two file cabinets.)

Melanie Stone
Message 8 of 8

So, I'm pretty well all settled in my office. I've got two 1/2 boxes of paper that I need to go through, to make sure I didn't miss any markups or anything.

After that... no more paper anywhere in my desk. Wild.

Of course, it's nice that the luddites around here are finally coming around and do almost everything electronically. I'm sure our next move (God forbid if I'm still ahere to experience it ~sighs~) will be to a cube farm.

I won't mind the loss of space, but, I will mind the loss of quiet.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report