Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for advice

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rigxGrip52
625 Views, 6 Replies

looking for advice

i don't own auto cad i am pencil and paper man but interested.  i am going to attempt to build a large sculpture of balerina. Because of the height it is gonna be built laying down . I am looking to be able to make drawing to plot my points in space. Example, like where the hand would be in relation to elbow. Am i heading in right direction or should i stick with the plumb bob because this is out of my league ?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: rigxGrip52

How many years do you have in plumb bob experience? Works for you and is pretty accurate?

The 3D program is pretty expensive to do what you describe and you would likely spend a year (two?) getting proficient. Assuming that you used the program regularly.

And how do you propose to transfer the drawing to the model?

Message 3 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Organic modeling is problematic with software created for technical design.  The difference being in art its about "that looks right" (appearance) whereas with engineering its about "that IS right" (numbers).  Not to say that it can't be done, CAD can be used to generate rough outlines, estimate materials, weight, etc.  3D visualization software is probably a better choice for this type of work, but as noted they are highly technical programs that require a lot of training and experience to produce acceptable work.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 7
rigxGrip52
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you very much for your reply ,your simple explanation made me much more aware that buying the software is the easiest part, its mastering the art of making it do what you want it to do is the hard part. Using a string , plumb bob and some simple lasers is what i know and i just learned some facts about auto cad. Thank You
Message 5 of 7
rigxGrip52
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you for your reply you made me aware what auto cad is about . I was thinking turn it on and start going , now i am going to polish up the plumb bob.The part i missed was auto cad is an art in itself . Thank you very much.
Message 6 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: rigxGrip52

If you don't have any experience using CAD software I can see you could get pretty aggrivated and frustrated in trying to get the software to give you what you want along with the added headaches of learning it.  There is nothing wrong with pushing a pencil.  If it works for you and you are comfortable in using it, then use it.  If this is a leasure project or a hobby at home, I wouldn't waste my time learning software to do it.

Are you feeling pressures to do this in CAD?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 7
rigxGrip52
in reply to: Cadmanto

art project for burnning man2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report