Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just disturbed my coworkers

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Mistress0fTheDorkness
1052 Views, 18 Replies

I just disturbed my coworkers

So, we've got paper-thin walls in the new offices... not a big deal, we're a relatively quiet group.

I try to keep my chuckling to a minimum for the most part, because I do find very many things funny.

But, as one of the engineers and I were finishing up a review of our bone marrow transplant problems (gotta keep that operating at peak efficiency, of course), we were talking about how obvious the problem was, and why didn't anyone else see it. He says it's not rocket science, just basic math, and I make some ironic comment about how my super-power is literacy and how impressed our coworkers seem to be when I have answers that are right in front of their nose.

He says, "now Melanie... you can't underestimate the power of being able to read and write... we were in a meeting discussing X project and one of them said 'Yes, that room N... N as in knife.'"

I couldn't help myself... I guffawed because I so rocked by incredulity. I almost fell out of my chair.

N as in knife.

There, I've gotten it out, I had to tell someone.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Couple of times recently I've seen posts where a person wrote "know" but clearly intended "now". I'm not sure if it's a spell-checker gone rogue or just a contagious mistake.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 19

I'll misquote this, but...

Will Smith in Men in Black - "NYPD!  Means: I will (k)Nock Yo' Punk-**** Down!"

Message 4 of 19

One word: Twitter

We keep getting more ignorant by the day.

Message 5 of 19

We've been going to Heck in a handbasket ever since Congress dropped extra vowels from words such as colour (Heck being for people who don't believe in Gosh)

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 19
troma
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Your neighbours have been warning you about doing that!

Mark Green

Message 7 of 19
hwalker
in reply to: troma

You think you have problems.

Just look at what our friends in The EU are doing to us

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f".. This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 8 of 19
jaybear
in reply to: hwalker

hwalker, that deserves 2 Kudos!!

Message 9 of 19
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jaybear

Message 10 of 19

troma,
I can understand that... I frequently make the mistake of typing 'and' when I meant 'an'.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 11 of 19

LOL @ graemev. I don't recall that part... maybe I should watch it again...

Melanie Stone
Message 12 of 19

Charles,
Something I only did once and will never repeat... clicked on a 'trending topic'. OMG, I can't stand that much stupidity in my stream. Now, I simply stick to the brilliant people I follow, and click on their nerdy hashtags. That part of twitter scares me.

Melanie Stone
Message 13 of 19

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
troma,
I can understand that... I frequently make the mistake of typing 'and' when I meant 'an'.

Sometimes I think autocorrect adds the "d".

Message 14 of 19

Can I still use that excuse, even when I'm not on iOS? 😉

Melanie Stone
Message 15 of 19
dgorsman
in reply to: jaybear

*blink*  And the worst (or best, depending on viewpoint) I run into is the frequent use of "rouge" instead of the less-ruddy "rogue": rouge elephant; rouge annotation scales; dapper looking rouge; a rouge doing a little second-story work.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 16 of 19
troma
in reply to: dgorsman

OK, so where do we sign up for the campaign for good English?

Mark Green

Message 17 of 19
troma
in reply to: dgorsman

I'm not as crazy as this guy but I think we should try our best.

Mark Green

Message 18 of 19

What's iOS? Smiley Wink

But honestly, I think it's the autocorrect in MS Word (or at least Outlook - I find myself deleting that stupid 'd' all the time)

Message 19 of 19
sam_m
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I'll leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

how did the americanization of "couldn't care less" happen?

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report