Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Movies

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
cbenner
1319 Views, 32 Replies

Good Movies

I started this thread for people who want to talk about movies... old, new... whatever.

I don't get creeped out by movies, horror movies have never had that effect on me other than the obvious"guyjumpsoutfrombehindthedoorway" scare that makes anyone jump a little bit.  Put the toughest most macho guy in the world into a dark room and have someone grab his arm... he'll react.

Yesterday we went to see The Conjuring.  Holy wow.  It's scary on a number of levels.  First, because it's based on events that really happened.  2nd,... demonic possesion anyone?

But mainly it was because the acting and direction were so well done that the film did not need to depend on cheap "gotchas" or gore.  The emotional intensity of the actors and the storyline relentlessy send you into a heightened adrenaline level... to the point of giving you the shakes when you finally crash later.    You believed you were in the house with these people, and you were scared for them, not for yourself.  Of course, even with that, I couldn't help laughing as I watched my daughter (18 this week!) cowering andcovering her eyes and laughing as she whispered "Why isn't this movie over yet?!"

NOT for the under 17 crowd or the faint of heart, but a very well made horror movie.  Prolly the best I've ever seen.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
timdown73
in reply to: jdkriek

Children of men, <--my fav.   FargoGattica,  2001 A Space Odyssey (so far ahead of it's time).  I saw Side effects recently starring Jude Law.  That was really good too.

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
Message 22 of 33
Charles_Shade
in reply to: timdown73

GATTACA - Scare the crap out of you if you think about it.

Thanks for the opine on Side Effects, will probably rent it soon.

Message 24 of 33

That's funny, everyone in the office was talking about that one last week... and they all said pretty much the same thing.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 25 of 33
Message 26 of 33
linapham109
in reply to: cbenner

i like wathing adventure and action movies

i have a habit to read the book b4 i watch that movie, its really nice experience

Message 27 of 33
wispoxy

Who's excited for Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension in 3D or that new Star Wars movie?
Message 28 of 33
jggerth1

@cbenner wrote:

Creppiest part was that it was based on real events.  It's the same paranormal researchers who cleaned the Amityville house.

If there's any tie in at all to the Amityville stuff, take any notion of being based in reality with a couple tons of salt.  It's been pretty clearly established that the  story was not sitting on a factual basis.  

Message 29 of 33
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: jggerth1

Never got into the horror type movies/shows, oh I tried, grew up seeing the Exorcist, Damien, The Shining, etc. but I've always been for the comedy and or drama types. Basically any Mel Brooks movie. Young Frankenstien was the very first movie I ever saw in a theater. I recall being a bit upset at first because it was in black and white...;). Robin Hood: Men in Tights is one of my faves. My Cousin Vinny is another classic I can watch over and over.

If I'm in the mood for the dry, English humor type silliness....Monty Python of course.

I'm in Jaws....yes, somewhere in the crowd on the beach, I'm there. Have yet to actually find myself, but I am there.

As far as TV shows, not much on that I watch these days, Walking Dead of course, was a huge follower of Denis Leary's Rescue Me (great, great show), excited to find out his new show, Sex & Drug & Rock & Roll is coming back for a second season this Summer. If you haven't seen it, check it out, it's got some pretty **** funny zingers in it related to the music industry.

The Big Bang Theory - been watching it since it first aired, funny to me since I tend to work with so many "Sheldons", but I feel the show has "jumped the shark" as it has long ago lost its entire premise. I think this season should really be its last. New shows: Full Frontal, Not Safe and @Anonymous and Conan are the comedies I mainly watch on TV.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 30 of 33

Oh, speaking of TBBT, if anyone watched last night's episode, did you notice Johnny Galecki (Leonard) seems to look very bloated. His face was very puffy and round and he's got a gut and "moobs". Is he packing on the pounds for a movie roll?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 31 of 33
Murph_Map
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

@joflaherty wrote:
Oh, speaking of TBBT, if anyone watched last night's episode, did you notice Johnny Galecki (Leonard) seems to look very bloated. His face was very puffy and round and he's got a gut and "moobs". Is he packing on the pounds for a movie roll?

I noticed something about him looked different. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 32 of 33
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: Murph_Map

Glad it wasn't just me!

It stood out (the difference, not just his gut).

Honestly, the first thing I thought of was that he's sick, or maybe on meds like Jerry Lewis was when he bloated up.

That or getting paid $1 million per episode has granted him the ability to eat like a king and it's catchin up to him.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 33 of 33
-niels-
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

I see noone has listen any animation in this topic yet, so here's a list of anime i think worth seeing:

1. Akira - classic...
2. Grave of the Fireflies - Seriously heart wrenching portrayal of Japan during WWII
3. Princess Mononoke - Great fantasy
4. Spirited away - More Ghibli... i got a long list of those but i'll just mention one more...
5. Howl's moving castle.
6. Fire & Ice - Old, non-japanese, brutal animation, another classic.
7. Titan AE - older computer animation, great voice actors
8. Final Fantasy The spirits within - outstanding computer animation for it's time, but the Final Fantasy groupies didn't like the setting... i thought it a good story though...
9. The nightmare before Christmas - Great stop-motion animation by Tim Burton
10. Corpse bride - Another great stop-motion by Tim Burton

I'll stop here, i didn't really list any Disney or Dreamworks stuff since that's probably well known.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report