Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else's neck, back, or shoulders hurt?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jaybear
957 Views, 12 Replies

Does anyone else's neck, back, or shoulders hurt?

I've been an AutoCAD user since 1988, and as I've gotten older, I've decided that I didn't choose the healthiest profession. Don't get me wrong, it's been a lot of fun. But I've gained about 100 lbs. since I saddled this desk, I have to visit my chiropractor way too often to keep my neck and left shoulder functioning and my once 20/15 vision now requires reading glasses.

Please excuse my rant, but it's after midnight, I'm still working, and I wish my shoulder didn't hurt.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Murph_Map
in reply to: jaybear

BTDT. Having the butt in the chair 8-10 hrs a day cause it to expand. (both the chair and butt) I changed professions to get a little more physical during the day. I also go by the gym on the way to work, one of these day I might even stop in and look around. You might want to check for diabetes as well.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 13
Charles_Shade

Funny, I stopped framing homes and decided to sit at the desk for just the same reasons: Neck, back, shoulder, hands...

Obviously Murph's wife has been bugging him too. (Yes, mine does all the time.) But what he says rings true: Get up, walk around, go outside, take a break.

This was asked in another thread and most all the repsondants said to make sure your arms are fully supported from the elbow on down.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Drafting-Techniques/Ergonomic-CAD-Station/m-p/3777525#U3777525

Message 4 of 13
troma
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Not having my elbows on the desk can make my shoulders hurt. But having them on the desk can make my elbows hurt! I've been thinking about getting skate elbow pads to wear at the desk. My wrists will hurt regardless. Switching the mouse from hand to hand gives some relief temporarily.
I haven't had back or neck pain. You should check ergonomic suggestions for chairs, and also the height and distance from your monitor and desk.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 13
Charles_Shade
in reply to: troma

Somewhere around here I have a padded elbow sleeve.

Not as bulky as a pad but gel in the crook.

Message 6 of 13

Well, I'm not going to admit how much weight I've gained since I became a desk jockey... but, I did suffer from shoulder and wrist pain for awhile.
Part of the solution was modifying my office to be a little more ergonomic and being mindful of getting up and stretching etc on a regular basis, as a result of research I did at the time (2004 or so?).
http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/2005/08/ergonomics-writers-wanted.html

Part of the solution is that I also started doing more support work and less drafting, so I am now up and away from my desk more often than I was back when I was doing a lot of cadding.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: Murph_Map

Exercise is good, but most gyms focus on the sports and appearance parts of the body.  For desk jockeys who aren't jocks, an approach that is closer to physiotherapy would be a better approach.  It doesn't hit the abs or glutes, but works the fine balance/posture muscles in the legs, back and shoulders.  Yoga, pilates, and their ilk might be appropriate as well, but like the gym I find those more suited for the already-athletic.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 13

I've had back surgery, about 4 years ago, but i attribute that more to some of the physical jobs I've had in the past.  This job, however, has been playing havoc with my wrists and elbows.  I'm currently using a vertical mouse for my right hand, and wearing a tennis elbow brace on my left arm.  23 years of keyboards and mice.  I do get a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders, but walking and stretching help with that.  I HAVE gained a pound or two over the years.... ok maybe mroe than that.... but I'm spending more time at the gym lately, so I think I'm headed back in the right direction.

Message 9 of 13
CADiva

My left shoulder is acting up this week.  But that's not so much due to my desk job ... rather it's a tendonitis leftover from swim team that never really got addressed.  On Tuesday, I stressed it out by driving in the wind to pick my parents up at the airport.  Three days later, it's finally decided to tell me it objects to that treatment. Smiley Frustrated

I'll probably ice it a bit later, and if I remember make an appointment with my massage therapist to work on the scar tissue a bit more.

Message 10 of 13
Light_Guy

Been doing this for over 20 years now, AutoCAD for at least 15 of that. In 1999 I had back surgery which required me to get an ergonomic chair with padding in all the right places uncluding a head rest. The latest chair cost $2500 and my neck and shoulders ache/hurt all the time. My chiropractor loves it, or at least his wallet does.  I have raised my arms up, dropped them lower and at one point just let them hang, same results. My vision, as most of you, was 20/15 until about 4 years ago and now I need reading glasses which have been increasing in power steadily. I use a pair of computer glasses as well which help take the strain off but are still bifocal for reading my mark-ups. As for weight gain, got that too. We call it Designer Spread. Usually most folks here see about 35lbs that first year or two and then it steadily creeps up if you don't catch hold of it then. It's all the nature of the beast I am afraid. I remember looking around the floor when I first got this job and seeing that everyone was wearing glasses and realized I was doomed then. Whatta ya gonna do???

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 11 of 13

Well, at least my eyesight can't really get any worse... I've always been as nearsighted as I am now... lol.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 12 of 13

Cataracts... macular degeneration... detached retinas... all sorts of fun stuff can still happen.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 13

Hush. 😜

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report