Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Tutorial for 13 Year Old AutoCAD Beginner?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
railman
1027 Views, 7 Replies

Best Tutorial for 13 Year Old AutoCAD Beginner?

I want my son to be able to start the right way so he doesn't get discouraged immediately.
I'm a complete neophyte myself.
What is/are the best tutorial/tutorials for getting started?
Is there one preeminent video tutorial series?

There seem to be multiple video tutorials and I have no way of judging their quality.

Thank you very much.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Are you only interested in video lessons, or would you consider books as well?

There are some video options out there, but, they might be pricier and not geared toward someone without any industry knowledge.

There are some options discussed here, from video training companies to autodesk university handouts:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?151568-online-course-on-autocad-architecture-what-do-you-recom...
these answers would apply to plain autocad as well.

There are also books, such as AutoCAD for Dummies or AutoCAD: No Experience Required with lessons for beginners.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 8
railman
in reply to: railman

Thank you Melanie!
Message 4 of 8

Melanie:

I read the discussion. Thank you again.
Is Revit for architecture only?

My son's preferred direction (he doesn't yet know I'm pursuing this resource for him) is Mechanical.
It's great AutoDesk has the educational program for him, but I'm not looking to do this on the cheap.
If I spend the $$$ I just want those with the knowledge and experience I lack to recommend a direction in which I don't spend funds on anything other than what's known to be high quality.

My assumption is that video would be easier to digest for my son.
He's never drafted, never tried lesser CAD, but is self-driven to draw mechanical elevations.

I see there's CADLearning as well as Infinite Skills.
You cite that you've not used these resources yourself, but is either known by reputation to be better for an AutoCAD and mech/tech drawing beginner?

As far as the books go, the same question: Is Dummies or "No Experience" known to be better geared toward the true beginner?

Thanks again Melanie.
Message 5 of 8

I have read 'No Experience Required', but, not the 'For Dummies' title, though I know the author to be an exceptional tutorial writer for the programming titles and classes we've worked on together. They will both be good for beginners.

Now 'No Experience Required' is probably more architectural in flavor, so you could always find something more mechanically geared (I believe 'applying autocad' is, but, I like the other titles I mentioned better, even if they show more houses than mechanical parts).

If you're looking for mechanical as in manufacturing, you'll want Inventor or even Solidworks.
For mechanical as in HVAC/R, you'll want Revit MEP.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 6 of 8

Melanie:

Thank you for the quick response!

My son's interest is specifically in railroad design. Locomotives, rolling stock, engines (steam/diesel-electric)

Which software package would be more apropos for this than AutoCAD?
Message 7 of 8
steven-g
in reply to: railman

Take a look at CADTUTOR there are lots of free videos, A forum aimed at students and forums that cover a variety of software programs.

Message 8 of 8

Oh, how cool.

I have to ASSUME that's something like Inventor or Solidworks. I don't know if I know anyone who does that type of work to be certain.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report