Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Autodesk Product for File Conversions?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Milt-Fitz
927 Views, 9 Replies

Best Autodesk Product for File Conversions?

Just a general question here,

What is the best Autodesk prouduct for file conversion? I have a few post regarding "STL Files" in the Technical area of the discussion group.

I'm just looking for opinions from the group, pros, and cons,  etc., etc., and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there.

The "2" file formats I'm looking for are "STL" for simple 3D printing and "STEP" for large 3D manufacturing (custom pipe extrutions etc etc...).

My alteratives so far have just been to use another software package outside of the Autodesk world.

As usual, any information or help would be appreciated

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

Do you have any Autodesk products now? If yes, which ones and version numbers?
Message 3 of 10
Milt-Fitz

Just using plain vanilla AutoCAD with a bunch of company driven Add-ons.

I do have access to other CAD (BIM) software from Autodesk but nothing that will convert or create real mechanical parts.

Again, I'm just looking for a general idea of the best overall product, or a combination of software.

Please...no sales pitches from anyone else reading the post.

I'm just looking for some general information and obviously... the software that will do the job as far as doing a true, or real conversion to STEP Files.

I already tested AutoCAD and I see "STL" however I did not see STEP.

Thanks again,

Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Message 4 of 10

To All in the Discussions Group,

Just reposting a request to see if there is a clear cut product or version of any Autodesk software to use?

(My original post: STL Files from AutoCAD for 3D printers  and most recent reply: Which Package )

Again I've gone onto other social media site such as AUGI to see if there were any other users,

with the same question or frustrations in getting an answer.

As usual thanks in advance for any information or help.

BTW... I'm currently signed in under my student account,

Thanks again and Thanks in advance,

Message 5 of 10
pendean

Contact an Autidesk Authorized Reseller in your region if the world for more information.
Message 6 of 10
Drafter1981

Dean,

Thanks for your help and input. That being said, I was really looking for more input from other users of the program, Smiley Happy

To me and the rest of the users out there, I’m sure we could talk to a reseller, marketing person, or sales person. What I’m trying to do is get a real idea of who has been in the trenches and worked with the program to say which one is better.

Thanks, and again if there is anyone out there that “USES” the program please share your input and thoughts.

Hope to get some good feedback…

Sincerely,

Message 7 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Drafter1981

Since you've asked on more than one occasion on more than one site, and presumably you have no answers, then it's time to ask a professional reseller.

Most are not scumbags, they will not sell you what you don't need. Go use that resource, it looks like you are truly unclear about your requirements to me (if I read all of your posts correctly) and a little guidance never hurt anyone.
Message 8 of 10
Drafter1981
in reply to: pendean

Dean,
You are right, not all resellers are bad... I just thought there would be more users that were willing to share information. Maybe there are no other users that work with machine manufactures out there? I just cannot believe with all the people that use Autodesk products that not one person has asked this question or has no input.
Message 9 of 10

I wouldn't go that far, but, looking at the demographics, mfg has the oldest average worker, and I don't see too many folks of that generation going to forums for q&a. (not to be ageist, I know there's plenty of 'seasoned' users here, but, going by the numbers...)

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 10 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Drafter1981

I would suggest you find a professional association website(s) for your line of work and post questions in their forums to engage your peers and profession about it all.

Posting in the break-room/no business area of a single software company's public forums is not the best way to discuss/explore/understand what your peers do now and how your peers wish to improve their wares and services.

Kind of like hanging out at the beach doing the same thing: silly at best.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report