Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBQ - To slaw or not to slaw?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Charles_Shade
773 Views, 17 Replies

BBQ - To slaw or not to slaw?

I like mine with slaw and sauce.

What are the purists doing?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Pulled Pork yes, Brisket no

Message 3 of 18
troma
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Can you provide a translation for the foreigners?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 18
Charles_Shade
in reply to: troma

Bar-B-Que beef or pork or chicken or buffaloe or ostrich...

Can be dry: Just use a rub of spices for flavor

Or wet: A bar-b-que sauce that drips off your chin while you grin. You're not into it if there is not sauce ear to ear. (The long bones will do that to you. Smiley Very Happy)

Slaw: Coleslaw that is. That wondrous side dish of cabbage and carrot and vinegar and mayo...

Train.jpg

Message 5 of 18
pendean

Pulled Pork - Slaw. No sauce.

Any other type of BBQ: no sauce, and no slaw. Straight Protein, fork optional.

Texas.png

Message 6 of 18
Murph_Map

@Charles_Shade wrote:

What are the purists doing?

Well I may not be a purist but  lots of sauce & the slaw on the side. the hotter the sauce the better. The real question is vinger or tomato base sauce.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 18
pendean

The 50/50--smoked brisket & pulled pork--topped with a blend of sharp, mild cheddar and muenster.

50-50.jpg

Message 8 of 18
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

Toasted bun?

That would be a coup de gras!

Message 9 of 18

I'll pass on the uncooked cabbage (or cabbage in any form, actually).

Franks Red-Hot Sauce is the ingredient of choice at the moment - hot enough to awaken the taste buds but not too hot to burn them off. Have yet to apply it to a barbecue as it's still either raining or freezing out.

We're eating a lot of horse at the moment, you? Smiley LOL

ACad, MEP, Revit, 3DS Max
Message 10 of 18
pendean

Toasted buns always 🙂

Message 11 of 18
cbenner
in reply to: GilesPhillips

I agree with the train of thought that says pork... yes.  Slaw and beans.  Beef, no slaw.  As to dry vs wet... for me it depends on the cut and the mood I'm in.  I like it both ways.  Michigan is not known for BBQ, so I like to taste the different styles form those places that are.  I have yet to meet a bbq that I really didn't like.  I've been on a quest locally for the best ribs.  I don't think I'll ever declare a winner though... because then the quest would be over.  Smiley Very Happy

Oh,... and the choice of beer makes a huge difference too.  Has to be the right beer!

Message 12 of 18
Charles_Shade
in reply to: cbenner

I know I created this as a BBQ post but your thought on finding the best ribs Chris made me think of my quest for the best Reuben.

I do believe that I came close in Charleston, SC but cannot remember the restaurant. Disappointments abound.

Message 13 of 18
cbenner
Message 14 of 18
troma

I was guessing you meant coleslaw, but I'd never have associated that with BBQ.

As for the meat, I don't really like it dry, but a little spicy and moist, not dripping either.  I'm not one of the carbon-eaters.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 15 of 18

I did just have some pulled pork with slaw on it over the weekend.

I grew up in an all-sauce all-the-time family... ~smh~ BUT, recently, I have had my eyes opened by my fellow cad manglers and became acquainted with the dry rub method.

Ehrmagherd.

No sauce needed there, baby. Good stuff. Even my oldest son, who is a huge fan of bbq sauce on just about anything, did not want a drop on his ribs.

Oh, and I love a bit of Frank's on chicken and pasta, but, I hadn't thought to put it with BBQ. My DH and oldest son don't do the spicy thing (the youngest and I do, though 🙂 ).

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 16 of 18
TBasich

I prefer sauce and slaw, but honestly...if it's good BBQ, I'll eat it, sauce and slaw or not. Smiley Happy

And always toasted buns! ALWAYS!

Teresa Basich
Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 17 of 18
dgorsman

Just the thought of 'slaw... lets say, there's a well-deserved restraining order involved.  The last time I described the noise as a disagreement with lunch.  One of my friends disagreed, referring to it as a full-blown domestic dispute.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 18 of 18
cbenner
in reply to: troma

I think when talking BBQ, dry does not mean cooked to a leathery fare-thee-well.  Rather it refers to using a dry rub and slor roasting or smoking the meat with no sauce.  Done right, the meat is still fall off the bone tender and juicy.  You just don't have the sticky BBQ sauce all over your fingers... which to me is half the fun, if you're not covered insauce when you're done eating your rack of ribs... something was done wrong.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report