The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)
Non-technical discussions will be held here to give community members a chance to connect and get to know one another.

The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 1 of 41 (1,494 Views)

Any Musicians Out There?

1494 Views, 40 Replies
01-11-2013 08:49 AM

I wouldn't refer to myself as a "musician", exactly, as I don't think I'm at a high enough skill level.

I can play/am learning: Guitar, Piano, Harmonica

I own a few guitars, one being a 12-String, and another being a Goya classical guitar from the 1940's (I believe).

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Alumni
TBasich
Message 2 of 41 (1,487 Views)

Re: Any Musicians Out There?

01-11-2013 09:22 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

"Musician" is relative, I guess.

I sing. I was accepted into college for vocal performance (long story as to why I didn't follow that road). I've played classical guitar since I was 8, though I don't play often anymore.

My guitar is one of my favorite possessions, even if I don't pick it up much right now. Collectively, my dad and I own five or six guitars. :smileyhappy:

Next up? BANJO!

Teresa Basich
Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 3 of 41 (1,480 Views)

01-11-2013 09:42 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I sing, and I own a couple of guitars.  Daughter and I started taking lessons a few years back and go to busy with life to keep going.  With her going off to college this fall, I may get  back into it.  One is a stratocaster knock-off electric, and the other is an electric acoustic.  Back in my younger years I was known to (try to) write a song or two.

I sing choral music at church, my range is technically baritone, but I can hit most of the bass thru tenor range.  Most of the singing I do is in the car on the way home from work, where I can belt out rock and roll with no one telling me to shut up!  On a good day I can sing along passingly well with Brad Delp of Boston.  Always been tempted to try out for America's Got Talent... not sure I have to guts for it though.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 41 (1,471 Views)

01-11-2013 10:03 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

In the Shower I think I'm Caruso (wife disagrees).

In the Garage I think I'm the next James Cotton (dogs in the 'hood like to join in by howling).

Critics :smileyhappy:

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Distinguished Mentor
asommer
Message 5 of 41 (1,463 Views)

01-11-2013 11:43 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Rockin the Electric Guitar, some acoustic.  AC/DC, mostly.  Some blues riffs & lead.  I play too hard, have to re-tune every other song.  The Electric guitar is the HOT ROD of music instruments.  I made my own guitar with a 1x3 pine, shish-kabob skewers and some cheap tuners.  I take it camping so it doesn't use much room.

If i didn't play guitar, i'd play piano.

Employee
loboarch
Message 6 of 41 (1,454 Views)

01-11-2013 01:18 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

I am personally not a musician, but my wife is.  In fact she runs a personal bussiness as an "entertainer"  She does sing-a-longs at different nursing homes in the area.  She usually take a piano/keyboard but sometimes she will take a guitar, a ukelele, a mandolin, and a harp.  She ends up with about 10-15 "shows" a month.

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
Distinguished Contributor
Wanderer-MOTD
Message 7 of 41 (1,449 Views)

01-11-2013 01:29 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

Just a wanna-be here.

I used to sing with a church group when I was a teenager. Did you know there was Christian Rap and Hip-Hop? Well, now you know. Hehehe... we did some of the Sister Act stuff, too, that was pretty popular when I was a kid.

Always backup, though, no solos. My husband isn't a fan of my vocal displays, though, so now I just usually keep it to the car and shower. I think I've got a pretty narrow range... those of you who have met me can tell I'm not a soprano, lol.

I do own a guitar (which I've always played right-handed :smileywink: ), but, I didn't have very many lessons when I got it (back in college... the first time around).

Since I've finally finished my degree and the kids are old enough to not need me constantly, I told my husband I'd like to pick back up on it, and, he's all for getting me out of the house more :smileywink: , he's even found me an instructor. I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Didn't Robert Green do a poll a couple years ago about how many CAD Mangler types are musicians? Seems like there's a lot out there.

Melanie Perry
***not all those who wander are lost***
http://AUGI.com/Surveys
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

My defunct profiles:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/651859
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/644095
Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 8 of 41 (1,411 Views)

01-13-2013 07:33 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

So far, it appears that I'm the first drummer! Only 27 years only and been playing drums since I was 10. It's more of a hobby than anything. I never played in a band with friends, but always enjoy rocking out to some of my favorite bands.

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 9 of 41 (1,396 Views)

01-14-2013 04:51 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

Steering-wheel-air-guitar is about as musical as I can get.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Valued Mentor
bgingerich
Message 10 of 41 (1,393 Views)

01-14-2013 05:06 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Yeah, buddy!  Piano and any bass/baritone parts!!  Currently working on this song, but my dream is Gershwin's Rapsody.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.