Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Model railroaders out there?

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
Joe-Bouza
1354 Views, 35 Replies

Any Model railroaders out there?

I'm just getting started on a 4x8. Its been a long time and I am very excited to get scenery going

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmola

Hi jmola

Space! thats thats a great thing you came upon. Thanks for the heads up. I've been reading on that very condition and will plan to have sidings at either end.

One thing bumming me out - on a 4x8 ther is enough room for landsacping and a passing siing on the out side? I hat 18" rads and want to add a passing wiit 22" 😕 and that leaves a sliver on the outside. How did you deal with that?

I enjoy seeing your layout?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 22 of 36
dgorsman
in reply to: troma

Its not unusual for the production company to do most of the work on the computer, then they use a 3D printer to create an initial oversized positive which is detailed and finished by hand.  That gets used to create the mold for the finished product.  Direct 3D printing the finished product doesn't work so well, as the low-cost material doesn't hold up and the high-cost durable material won't print the fine details very well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 23 of 36
loboarch

@troma wrote:

Looks like you guys could use a 3D printer!  Or would that take the fun out of it?

We recently installed a 3d printer at the office.  I made a couple of defensive walls for my toy army men and painted them up.  They came out looking decent.  Up close you can see some of the artifacts of the printing process byt it looks good from a couple of feet away.

ADL_Long.jpg

ADL_Med.jpg

ADL_Close.jpg

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 24 of 36
CoreyDaun
in reply to: loboarch

That looks too good for battle-equipment! Smiley Wink Ever think about creatively simulating some aesthetic plasma or bolter damage?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 25 of 36
loboarch
in reply to: CoreyDaun

What do you think those gaps are in the left part of the longer wall?  (Ok those are actually some problem the 3d printer had, but I can imagine it is battle damage.)

I usually paint my models pretty clean because I am not so great a simulating battle damage.  My marines are all the new guys!  Smiley Happy

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 26 of 36
CoreyDaun

Yeah, I can tell - they're all green...

The battle damage can be art in itself; if done well, it can even tell a good story!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 27 of 36
troma

@loboarch wrote:

@troma wrote:

Looks like you guys could use a 3D printer!  Or would that take the fun out of it?

We recently installed a 3d printer at the office.  I made a couple of defensive walls for my toy army men and painted them up.  They came out looking decent.  Up close you can see some of the artifacts of the printing process byt it looks good from a couple of feet away.

I'm not familiar with the process of 3D printing at all.  Did you paint by hand after printing?  Or do you mean you digitally painted them and the printer handles colour along with shape?

Very cool pictures, thanks for posting.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 28 of 36
loboarch

Sorry I was not clear.  The walls were painted by hand after the print was complete.  Here is a picture of what they looked like before painting.  These happened to be printed with clear resin.  We currently have white and red too but a whole rainbow of colors can be used.  Each print run however has to be a single color, so if you want different colors you have to print you models in parts and assemble after the fact.

ADL_clear.jpg

Here is an image of the model in the computer version before printed.

computer ADL.jpg

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 29 of 36
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

This is about as high-tech as it's going to get for me:

(20mm gauge in case you're interested.)

DSC_0006.JPG

Good enough for me and my girl!

Mark Green

Message 30 of 36
loboarch

My son and I used to cover the entire living room floor with his layouts. He was never satisfied unless every piece of track was used.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 31 of 36
Joe-Bouza

EXCELLENT!
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 32 of 36
Joe-Bouza

Thats my problem too, except its me at the helm 🙂
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 33 of 36
troma

Pretty sure that is all of it used up. (That's not a piece of track you see washed out by the flash in the foreground, it's part of some sort of building.)
I guess what you're saying is I need more track! 😉

Mark Green

Message 34 of 36
Joe-Bouza

More track, more track, more track....

Secretly I know eveytime you get near a KB toy's there is a little voice in your head saying... "more track...need more track...."
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 35 of 36
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I keep having to rely on my friend Google to figure out what you're talking about Joe!
Aside from that, I worry if local Canadian track will match my European import. What to do?

Mark Green

Message 36 of 36

hehe, same with me and my monkeys (and one of my nieces).

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report