Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Modeling & 3D Printing Archaeological Artifacts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
AshMRichter
825 Views, 2 Replies

3D Modeling & 3D Printing Archaeological Artifacts

Hey everybody! I'm Ashley and my colleague and I have been playing around with a variety of Autodesk goodies for the past several years ( recently: more of Maya, and 123D Design, Catch, and Make ) to visualize and fabricate replicas of archaeological objects.

I was wondering if anyone else is doing anything similar with archaeological and museum pieces? And if we wanted to swap trial and error stories.

My colleague is a computer scientist and I'm an archaeologist. And we're in the process of translating our collaborative adventures in digital archaeology into a larger, more out of the box quest at the intersection of computer science, cultural heritage, and art innovation. If you have a sec, check it out, the wider project is called Open Access Antiquarianism, and it's all quite nifty. 

We're launching by starting an Open Access Antiquarianism Kickstarter to put together an artistic re-imagining of an antiquarian's study built from point clouds, meshed, 3D printed and laser scanned archaeological goodies.

And we would love feedback from everyone else in the wonderful world of digital modelling and printing. We would also love your support in this endeavor (its the first of its kind on crowd-sourced funding) and potentially your future collaboration on expanding research into this lovely realm.

Acres and acres of happy wishes,

Ashley x

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
loboarch
in reply to: AshMRichter

You probably already know about this project, but just in case you don't, Autodesk work with the Smithsonian on this project.

http://3d.si.edu/

Autodesk was also very involved in this project at Pearl Harbor.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sunken-pearl-harbor-battleship-uss-arizona-scanned-in-3d/

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 3
graemev
in reply to: AshMRichter

There was a project along those lines at a British museum.  I don't recall the details but you could either do a Google search or hit up the forums at shapeways.com, as there was mention of it there for sure.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report