Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 Yr Old Beginner: Best AutoDesk App for Locomotive Design?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
railman
416 Views, 2 Replies

13 Yr Old Beginner: Best AutoDesk App for Locomotive Design?

My 13 yr old has been drawing side/front/back locomotive elevations for a couple of years now.
He wants to design rolllng stock, locomotives and the engines that drive them (steam and diesel-electric).

What is the best AutoDesk app or app combo for him and his mechanical eng desires?
AutoCAD? Inventor? Other?

Thank you,
John
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: railman

I notice you're spending quite some time here, and more than one post, needing guidance for your son.
May I make a left-field suggestion instead: log into as many job search websites as you can find, and search for LOCOMOTIVE DESIGN ENGINEER job applicants, job openings, job offers and any 'mentoring' offers. Read carefully what these hopeful employees are offering as skills, what these employers are looking for in skills for the jobs offered, and seek out any opportunities your son can join and explore more on his own.

Unless you two are only looking for a drafting/drawing non-professional career path in which case I recommend a visit and some classes at a local community college after visiting with a counselor for guidance.

AutoCAD has no future in that industry. Inventor is not something you can just pick up without hands-on training and guidance. Other software packages not offered by autodesk may be even better for that industry, I doubt anyone around here can easily pinpoint which.

Good luck; you sound like a great parent.
Message 3 of 3
railman
in reply to: pendean

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
In the interim while we explore this avenue, my son goes to engine modeler "shows" that are frequented by retired machinists one of which has begun using CAD/CAM to design and fabricate parts of early steam engines.
Which AutoDesk app(s) would be apropos?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report