Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX Animation

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
991 Views, 18 Replies

FBX Animation

Hi, 

created a curtain in 3dmax, I applied wind and created a simple animation. Converted the animation in keyframes. I exported to FBX, animation button enabled. But inside stingray that animation does not appear. The curtain is only static. (also I enabled animation when importing this model). Any tips on how to make this process work ??

tks

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
dan.matlack
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you attach your fbx so I can have a look? The animation should come in as a separate file as long as import animations is selected on the import box. You can then trigger the animation via level flow, lua and/or unit flow to play or loop appropriately.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: dan.matlack

Here ... look the animation isnt inside de model... but the export settings are corretc.. i think... anyway here is the max file and fbx: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/c17bd3b862f3b49ee18cf5c520ce943120150911221030/970d12028e5bf835... i cant upload here in the site.. get error..

Message 4 of 19
dan.matlack

Hi leonarmb,

We currently are not supporting vertex animations. We plan on supporting this in the future, sorry for the inconvenience! You could animate this curtain by painting the vertex channels and using the shader node for vegetation -- you can there control things like movement and wind.

veganimation.JPG

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

ahh.. too bad...  i do not usually use flow or shader graph ... but I will try any solution for this. Thanks anyway. The Morpher modifier is not supported by stingray ???

Message 6 of 19
dan.matlack

We currently do not support morph targets but plan to in the future. 🙂

Message 7 of 19
KCianchetta

So Dan to follow this thread correctly, if I do a simple keyframe animation in Max then it should easily translate to Stingray via a node in flow?

Message 8 of 19
dan.matlack
in reply to: KCianchetta

@KCianchetta No. Animations will only come through if they are skinned. We do not currently handle vertex animations. You will have to use a skeleton for animating objects at this time.

Message 9 of 19
l1209047

Are you kidding. I am not using skinned meshes in animations. Isn't there any way of importing vertex animations in to Stingray? plugin or etc ?

Message 10 of 19
l1209047

And also in this video i think there isn't used any skinned mesh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2TC6fd2JA. I can just link my camera movements not all the objects in the scene.

Message 11 of 19
dan.matlack
in reply to: l1209047

You can animate cameras and the animations will come over. You just cannot do vertex animations currently.
Message 12 of 19
alican_90

Can i do keyframe animations on objects without using skinning?. Are they will come over also ? I think it is said that just skinned animations will come over.
Message 13 of 19
dan.matlack

No. You must use meshes skinned to bones. Or a hierarchy of meshes.
Message 14 of 19
alican_90

But by this method i can send only little amount of animation types to Stingray. Right? I mean keyframe or animations made by any type of constraint won't be able to send to stingray.
Message 15 of 19
alican_90
in reply to: alican_90

And is it possible to use strechy bones?
Message 16 of 19
paulkind

Hey Guys,

To help demystify some of the animation questions i made this quick video of types of animations supported as of now.

https://youtu.be/Qx-sib-O4eU

Paul

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 17 of 19
alican_90
in reply to: paulkind

but you didnt explain how to export keyframe animation in the video. And i havent seen any tutorial that explains how to export keyfreme so far?
Message 18 of 19
Shanii2

well. once you set your keys for Translation, rotation or scaling..  you can then Bake the animations into keys from 0 to max timeline of animation by selecting the animated object and hiting bake animation In animations tab in Maya 2016 or you can also find bake option in Edit as well . i hope it helps 🙂

Message 19 of 19
paulkind

Hi Alican

So the reason you havent seen much is because there really isnt anything to it.

Key you animations in maya/max

Export as FBX or use Game Exporter if you have multiple clips.

Import to stingray with animation checkbox on.

It will just work.  You dont even need to bake the animations.  

This type of "keyframe" animation will "create" and use the translations of the objects as "bones".

If you watch this kinda older tutorial on doors, it will show you how to import keyframe animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGf2TKVAys

Paul

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report