Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ Bug ] Stingray iOS Packager Server

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
1527 Views, 29 Replies

[ Bug ] Stingray iOS Packager Server

Hi. I've switched off the OS X Firewall as well as any protection from the anti-virus. I got the IP address already but nothing's happening to the Connections window (it's been hours). It's stuck on collecting data it seems (Autodesk server bug?). Any solutions? This is running the latest retail version of OS X El Capitan.

StingrayPackageServerBug.png

God bless, Rev. 21:4

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

and if you use that IP generated on OS X (that seemed to not finish) it would result to being refused. Error says "Could not generate IPA: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

image.jpeg

Message 3 of 30
dan.matlack

Do you have an iOS dev package server that you are trying to connect to?
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: dan.matlack

Hi. I had run the iOS Package server in OS X (coz' I had the certificate and mobile provision) which gave me an IP address what the app iOS Package server didn't display are the (it just had a blank windows with the server app trying to connect it seems but can't:

Complete Successfully! Connection closed

Packaging and resigning IPA file...

as shown in the documentation:

iOS Package Server

But the IP it gave when I switched back to Windows to type it in the Deployer panel didn't work and Stingray had that red error at the bottom.

Do I need two computers to make this work? 1 Mac to run the iOS Package server all the time and a Windows machine to run the deployer? If that is so, that's truly not a very elegant solution, it'd be better if Autodesk on the next Stingray and Maya LT updates (and all Autodesk product to support streaming to gadgets) had it's own client app for Stingray level and game test in one app and server app for windows (which could be Stingray and Maya LT themselves) to just do a kind of streaming/mirroring but on actual hardware, much like a Wii U or PS4 streaming to Vita or Nvidia shield- an advantage of this is it doesn't need to be tethered, it can go wirelessly if one chooses to.

Thank you. God bless, Matt. 16.18

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous

Also on top Stingray app (to stream/mirror it from the Stingray workstation for iOS (and the other platforms, maybe include OS X and Nintendo Wii, Wii U and NX too:-) could Autodesk also create a simulator too just like in XCode?
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous

The advantage of having a simulator (alongside an iOS and other platforms for Stingray app for streaming which we install like a normal app on the App Store or other platform stores which I think it ok with Apple coz' there are apps like that for when you want to use your iPhone as a controller or I think supplmentary screen or mirrored/streamed as mentioned like the Nvidia shield) is that you can test all platforms in one machine and more or less gauge if it's gonna work, much like in XCode. I still think Autodesk should just merge Maya LT and Stingray and just make it have it's own file format maybe called .ms that is only actually a just a container to house .mb and .sr so Maya Lt or Maya can still open it's .mb files in there and Stingray it's own. sr files in one container. Truly Stingray's got to be ported to OS X too:-) - it's more stable and easier to use)

Message 7 of 30
dan.matlack

Hi Alvin,

So, here is the process. You have your project in Stingray open on your Windows machine. You then have to make an IPA for your iOS device (ie: iPAD Air 2) ... You do this with the Deployer under the iOS tab. You need to put in your Packaging Server IP address so that you can create the IPA. You need to provide this packaging server yourself and it needs to be certified by Apple as a developer. 

Once the IPA is generated, the log file will tell you the location it was put. This is usually in your temp folder on your Windows machine.

ipa.JPG

You then need to copy this to your iPad or supported device via iTunes. There is a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJz1TnyPrTs

After that, you can then use WiFi to connect your project or the editor to your device. You need to run the Stingray app on your iPad and it will give you a screen with an IP address. Enter that IP address into your Connections Panel.

connection.JPG

Then, when you run the project and have the box checked, it will automatically launch on your device to be played. You can also then connect with the editor and stream. 

Hope that helps.

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous

Hi. Unfortanately Stingray still has the same red error "Could not generate IPA: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it (then what's written here is IP machine produced by the Autodesk iOS Package Server app)".

The bug may be the Autodesk IOS Packager Server app, it may be generating the wrong IP. I've checked everything in the Developer page of Apple. It all seems to check out, my developer account is ok (expires on 2017), the Autodesk provision is active as you can see. When I launch XCode and check the Devies, the iPhone 6S Plus I use has no error, it's ready to go. The iOS I'm using meet the standard and is enabaled (with list reset): 

DeviceEnabledInAppleDeveloper.PNG

DeviceEnabledInAppleDeveloper.PNG

Any other way to make it work? Coz' it's needed to make sure everything will be ok to decide to continue using Stingray or just accept the loses and do everything back to UE4 (coz' it's been since Oct and still everything itsn't running 100% smoothly with Stingray), it'd be a very expensive and time wasted effort if in the end the app/s been done and it can't be deployed to iOS devices (do include the OS X platform in the next update. With your prayers the app/s will be polished and become world changing hits (games and non game apps) but the sad part is the credit would go to UE4 and I want Stingray, the new kid on the block to win and get promoted:-). Thank you for your patience. We got to update Stingray this March (hopefully the next update includes an OS X port), it's quite very buggy.

God bless, Rev. 21:4

Tags (3)
Message 9 of 30
dan.matlack

Hi Alvin,

I've been developing for iOS all week and generating IPAs with no issues. I am on vacation but will ask another developer to respond to try to help you out. You are probably just missing something simple. 🙂 ... just like the opening a level issue you had a couple days ago. We will get you up and running. Hang tight.
Message 10 of 30
RobertGoulet

Make sure the Mac IP address can be reached from your Windows PC. The IP address that you put in the iOS Package Server entry should be the IP of the Mac you are running the iOS Package Server on. This has nothing to do with the IP address of your iOS device.

Once this is working, you'll get a signed .ipa file that can be installed on your iOS device. Then when working in Stingray, you can provide the IP address of the device in the Connections panel.

Let's make sure the iOS Package Server can be reached from your Windows machine first.

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: RobertGoulet

Hi. How are you? .

Would the Deployer reach the IP address if Windows is on a dual boot system like Windows is on Boot Camp (dual booting on a Mac with OS X)? Or it needs separate computers, 1 Windows and an OS X computer with the OSX machine running the iOS Package server while the Deployer reaches it to create the IPA?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
Message 12 of 30
RobertGoulet

It needs to be on separate computers I'm afraid. Otherwise how would you want to reach a Mac computer while it's not running? 😉

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous

Hi Thanks. Just I suspected but there's a will there's a way (the switch to Stingray is a bit getting expensive:-).

Will this work:

I plan to borrow a windows computer or laptop (coz' there's no more room for two computers too) run the Deployer there and generate the IPA while I run iOS Package on OS X all via wifi. After the borrowed Windows computer has generated the IPA, I put that in iTunes in the Mac to intall to 1 or more than 1 iOS machine.

But do I need to download it again to reinstall to other computers. Is there some kind of .iso or .dmg I can install to other computers so there's no need to download it again? If the one I downloaded reuseable/portable or it needs to be downloaded on the Windows computer I plan to borrow?

Thanks again. Have a great sunday mass/great sunday.

God bless, Philippians 2:13

Message 14 of 30
RobertGoulet

Any setup you like will work as long as you have a Windows PC running Stingray while you have the Mac running the iOS Package Server.

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous

Hi. It seems to be on the right track. I'm on the Windows 10 machine now that I borrowed (configuration: Development):

IPAontheWindowsMachine.PNG

I searched for the .ipa type file in the folder:

Program Files > Autodesk > Stingray > 1.1.247.0 > engine > ios

but there seems to be no type .ipa it's mostly .png

IPASearchResults.PNG

I also searched in the Temp folder but there's no .ipa type file there as well:

IPASearchResultsinTemp.PNG

Thanks in advance.

[ Btw, right now I'm going to generate the ipa for configuration: Release as well so I get to create the ipa for deployment while I'm still have this Windows machine borrowed ]

Tags (3)
Message 16 of 30
RobertGoulet

Looks like the documentation has a bug! It still mention the directory inside the Stingray installation, but due to a file write access this was changed to be in the user's temp folder.

When I generated my IPA, it would print this in the log console:

ios-ipa.png

Clicking on that link opened a Windows explorer to C:\Users\Robert Goulet\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Stingray\engine\ios\dev, that's where you should look for the IPA.

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous

Hi. Almost there. I found the two .IPA (made one for development to test and one for release) using search (was in a hidden folders but it's in the location you mentioned) on the Windows machine I borrowed. I generated the two .IPA with Basic template as the project and will transfer that Basic project folder to my Windows (via Bootcamp on this Mac).

It may not be the way to install the .ipa but If this is the way to put the .ipa (the one for development) using XCode, it has this error. I've registered the iPhone I will be using to test in Apple's Developer program. This prompts when I add the stingray_ios_dev.ipa using that plus sign in XCode (in the Windows > Devices menu):

StingrayIPAandXCode.png

Thanks again in advance.

Tags (2)
Message 18 of 30
RobertGoulet

This works for me. Are you installing the IPA using iTunes?

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous

Hi. I got to install the development IPA (using iTunes on OS X), that iOS to Stingray Windows hardware interconnection works which is great (it's even got the Stingray icon on the iPhone) but there's just one big problem, the Stingray app on the iPhone is looking for the the IP address of the Windows machine I borrowed which means I need to invest in another Windows machine (motherboard, CPU, monitor, PC keyboard, etc.) which is gonna' get expensive (plus I don't have the room anymore for another machine). I highly recommend adding in the Stingray ads that in order make the iOS device to Stingray interconnection work, you must have 1 Mac and 1 Windows machine as a kind of  **note on ads coz' most Mac users use Windows via Bootcamp.

However, not giving up that easily- I'll try to install OS X on a Virtual machine (VirtualBox) on my Windows Machine (which is Bootcamp Windows on the Mac), and run the server there, so that hopefully OS X run on VirtualBox will be able to connect with the Windows Stingray it's running in. Hope and pray for the best (else I truly might need to go back to UE4, kind of wasting the purpose of subscribing for a year to Stingray + Maya LT but God's will be done).

But if this might be a better way: If you know a kind of editor app for the IPA (like you would a text), I could just edit the IPA and change the IP address of the Windows machine I borrowed to the IP of my Windows?

However this is absolutely the best way: could you push for an OS X port of Stingray- that's the best solution:-) i mean, as I've mentioned, Stingray used to run on OS X as BitSquid- I think Autodesk could release an OS X Stingray version tomorrow if they wanted to. That'll make it all run on OS X Maya LT and Stingray as well as the server.

Thank you. God bless, Rev. 21:4

Message 20 of 30
RobertGoulet

Once you have the IPA installed on the device, you don't need the Mac computer anymore. The Stingray editor just needs the IP address of your iOS device in the Connections panel, that's it.

Of course it would make this whole experience much smoother if we had a Mac version of the Stingray editor, who knows maybe that'll become available on day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report