Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Un)smooth UV on subdiv in Maya?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hapzunglam
1103 Views, 3 Replies

(Un)smooth UV on subdiv in Maya?

In xsi there has an on/off option called smooth when subdividing.  Is there anything like that in maya?  how does maya deal with the UV if the geo is being subdivided.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
greatclouds
in reply to: hapzunglam

I would like to know this as well

Message 3 of 4
trevor.adams
in reply to: greatclouds

Hi,

If I understand the question correctly, you can adjust the UV smoothing settings in the Attribute Editor.  For instance, if you're using Maya's Smooth Mesh Preview feature to subdivide your mesh (pressing 3 on your keyboard while a mesh is selected does this), you can visit the 'Smooth Mesh' section of the object's shape node (i.e. for a primitive cube, it would be the 'pCubeShape1' node) and choose the way in which UV boundaries are handled when using OpenSubdiv as the Smooth Mesh Subdivision Method.  More specifically:

1. Create a primitive poly cube

2. With the cube selected, press 3 to activate Smooth Mesh Preview to subdivide your mesh

3. With the cube still selected, open the Attribute Editor and with the pCubeShape1 node selected, navigate to the Smooth Mesh section, open the OpenSubdiv Controls section (if using Maya 2015)

RESULT: You'll see 'UV Boundary' as one of the available settings.  For information on how each of the settings work, you can check out the documentation here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2015/ENU/?guid=Polygons_nodes_Smooth_Mesh

You have the same settings when applying a 'Smooth' to any object (instead of previewing subdivision with Smooth Mesh Preview), using the options in Mesh > Smooth.

Was that the information you were looking for?

Trevor Adams

Maya Design Team Manager, Mudbox Designer, Maya Modeling Designer

Twitter | LinkedIn
Message 4 of 4
greatclouds
in reply to: trevor.adams

thanks for the clarification, understood now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report