Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gator?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
hapzunglam
2217 Views, 15 Replies

Gator?

Any alternatives for Softimage Gator in Maya?

We just had a discussion about how much we've relied on Gator over the years.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Transfer attributes is one part of it in Maya, copy Weights is another there are a few tools that you can use in combination to get close, GATOR does a lot of things though so being specific to how you use it will help get some detailed responses beyond what I have mentioned.
Message 3 of 16

Well first if it it does those things it would be great to put those together and have it be one click. Even if it just comes close this would be such a time saver for people workingn on characters.

What I use gator for?

transfering materials/ textures/ transfering envelope weights from a character I modeled to something like a species character. ( Speceis is a auto rigging plug in that comes with its own modeled characters. )  But I actually have used it to transfer blendshapes from a character with tons of them to my own character.  I also love that I can transfer envelopes from an enveloped character to the clothes I modeled for him and it gives a really good weight.

Message 4 of 16
hapzunglam
in reply to: talent103

I mainly use it to transfer UV as especially when the model has a slight fix after revisions. The vertex ID went different. Can't think of a work around in maya without redo the UV. Another case is I've UV the lowres version and give it back to the modeler to work on the detail. After they are done, I was able to gator the UV from low to high res.
Message 6 of 16

In my opinion GATOR is just a tool behind many useful feature, like Merge mesh. I don't remember if I could merge two skinned mesh in maya into one. The merge mesh operator in Softimage uses GATOR engine to merge materials, skins, shapes, UVs, etc. So a MayaGATOR is a definite welcome. Now I use GATOR to rig an iterations of characters in few minutes. I create my new meshes, GATOR the skinning and smoothing and done, next please. The same if I had to attach new element to an existing rigged character. With GATOR I take the skinning, and then Merge the two meshes into one. GATOR is a must as it is.

Message 7 of 16

Thanks Brad. I will keep those on file to look into when working in Maya. However; if the point of the thread is to make Maya more artist friendly then yes making it into a one place to change attributes node would be easier for a new artist instead of having to go to one section of docs and then another and then another and then another etc.

Message 8 of 16
talent103
in reply to: talent103

oh and by the way Brad I just started re reading your book Inspired 3D rigging. I brought it back in 2004 when I was in school and I was learning Maya 6. 🙂 My Maya skills are very rusty these days.
Message 9 of 16

Agree, it is something that Autodesk should look over the wall at XSI and streamline the Maya process.

Sent from a phone
Message 10 of 16

Just to mention. When Gator was released there was a standalone plugin for Max. So it rly shouldnt be hard to transfer that to maya.
Message 11 of 16
lucericr
in reply to: MarioReitbauer

that Gator plugin for Max was a plug-in to export to .xsi and launch xsibatch to run Gator on it.  it's definitely not a good way forward because it would require shipping 300 megs of XSI DLLs and files.

Message 12 of 16
MarioReitbauer
in reply to: lucericr

Valid point 😉

Message 13 of 16
pkimail
in reply to: lucericr

that's just hilarious:)
Message 14 of 16
ahearsum
in reply to: pkimail

Hi folks. I know this is 4 years later but I'm newish to Maya and need the Gator functionality for what I'm doing right now. I specifically want to  transfer envelope weights from one model to another via proximity. Has there been any development in this area that anyone knows of?

Thanks

Message 15 of 16
talent103
in reply to: ahearsum
Message 16 of 16
talent103
in reply to: ahearsum

Still Crickets on this gator tool for Maya. I will stop holding my breath.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report