Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better colour coding of keyframes in the attribute editor/channel box?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1988 Views, 5 Replies

Better colour coding of keyframes in the attribute editor/channel box?

In Softimage you have different colours that helps out when you are working with keyframes. Red= you have keyeframed the attribute and the current frame is keyed. Green= The attribute is keyframed but there is not a key on your current position in the timeline. Yellow = There is a keyframe on your current position in the timeline but you have changed the attribute compared to the keyframe. Please add something similar.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sonictk
in reply to: Anonymous

+1 Also, I know this is minor (and both Maya/XSI don't have this), but if it's possible to colour-code key ticks in the timeline based on if they are translate/rot/scale keys (RGB) would be REALLY useful to help seperate out my keys and make it easier for me to know which keys are my key poses, and which are just breakdown keys. (also an option for the next/prev keyframe hotkeys to skip 'breakdown' type of keys would be awesome) A crappy mockup I did a while back of what I thought was in XSI but actually wasn't: http://i.imgur.com/7zqDuwa.png
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: sonictk

Even though its not exactly what you asked sonictk, but theres a way to actually make the Keys on the Timeline have diferent colours. Doesnt need any special plugin its on Defult Maya.

Its called the Special Thick Key, you can change its colour in:

Windows---Settings/Preferences---Color Settings---Animation

In there you change the Color of the TimeSlider tick special.

I changed mine to Blue (as in breakdown)

Beware of the Time Slider Breakdown... its not the same and I advise you not to ever use it 🙂

Theres also a script that allows us to have a lot of diferent colors on our Keys, but it creates that info as well on the Graph editor:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/colorkey

Message 4 of 6
sonictk

Hi mpexuz!

That's cool! (I have my own breakdown tool using keyframe -tds 1 to help me out, basically the same thing really 😛 ) but the reason I asked is because I try to key cleanly (key rot scl trans seperately) instead of all attrs at once, and if such a feature is present it would be easier to distinguish the timeline. Right now my timelines always are a mess of ticks once I get into polishing, and more time is wasted on figuring out which are pose keys and not. 😛 So what I do for now usually is key however I like, then go back in and mark my poses with custom ticks.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: sonictk

Well we all have or own workflows, I always Key EVERYTHING 😛

Dont care if Im keying things im not even using, ill clean them up later 🙂

Message 6 of 6
sonictk

I used to do that (wooooo Disney-style!!! 😄 ) But then I kind of saw some...interesting workflows and I'm trying all sorts of things out since I'm still fresh to this world 😛

(On the plus side, keying cleanly helps speed up playback and playblasting, especially on rigs that have a lot more controls. On the downside...ok where are my key poses now...? 😧 )

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report