Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Autodesk

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
sece0001
832 Views, 1 Reply

Dear Autodesk

A message from Alastair Hearsum Glassworks.

An open letter to Autodesk.

Dear Autodesk

My name is Alastair Hearsum. I’m a founding partner, director and head of 3d at Glassworks. If you haven’t heard of us, we are a small to midsized company which has been creating VFX and animation for TV commercials for markets around the world, for the past 20 years. We have branches in London, Amsterdam and Barcelona. We create innovative and multi award winning work and we use Softimage.

Your announcement that you are retiring Softimage has left us saddened, disappointed and not a little angry. The anger for two reasons; that you have shot the racehorse of the 3d software world in the head in its prime but also that you didn’t consult with us about this assassination or discuss any of your plans for the future with us. We have no idea what the future from you holds. We are big and longstanding users of other Autodesk products as well as Softimage. The puzzling thing is, technologically speaking, there was no writing on the wall as there was with Henry and Flame, for example, or these days with Flame and Nuke.

We have been punching above our weight, in London, for the past 20 years competing well with the much larger organisations of MPC, Framestore and The Mill. One of the reasons we have been able to do that, apart from the deep talent of our crew is, I believe, because of the software that we chose. I’m nearly 150 years old  now but I still sit at the computer making pictures for TV commercials to the same arduous schedule that I always have. So I know what I’m talking about. For a period a few years back we had a 50/50 split of Maya and Softimage. We chose to go 100% Softimage. Its better for the work that we do and the sector we are in. Its no coincidence that all the finalists in the recent British Animation Awards (tv commercials) did their work in Softimage. Similarly, both silver and gold award winners in the 3d animation category at this year’s British Television Advertising Craft awards were Softimage companies.

You may well go on to list major work that’s been done in Maya. Sure there has, and great work too. But Maya is used as a shell in the major film effect companies. It is heavily customised and unrecognisable as the product you ship. We have our proprietary software and tailored workflow as well, but Softimage remains pretty much untouched. It is lean, efficient, and the ICE environment is innovative and empowering.

So you’ve done it. What’s next? Like I said we have had vague information about what the future holds. We hear rumours about bi-frost and that’s about it. From what I understand from various sources there are no plans to replicate the efficient workflow and full ice functionality that made us so productive. You have offered free transitionary licenses of Maya with the threat of having to discontinue using Softimage in 2 years time.

The final thought is not just about what software is best for our future but also about what sort of software supply company we want to get into bed with. The attributes that come top of my list: listening to customers, acting on their recommendations, speedy development, innovation. Now does that sound like you?

Alastair Hearsum

Glassworks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
vilsonlirio
in reply to: sece0001

Dear friend Alastair Hearsum work with softimage since version 3.8 when it was still softimage | 3D. I used the Max and Maya for some time, but the workflow softimage captivated me, was productive, relaxing and finally I could create my animations.
When it came XSI .... howww!!, What is it? Even as all their bugs change was revolutionary, biped guide render tree render region ... soon came ICE, powerful, intuitive, innovative. Show 20 minutes ICE and you let the more experienced user of Maya, Max or Houdini open mouth.
How is that?? gets to be immoral, programs like Maya, Softimage can not just disappear, just the AD compares it with other software in the market for you to see that Softimage is far ahead of any of them.
And look, this week I tried Laightwave and Houdini ... man!! I will have problems, like the houdini and Laightwave but lack a lot to your workflow let me will as Soft let me.
I would blaspheme Autodesk, but I'm very sad about that.

I hope whoever has taken this decision to know that is responsible to kill a software that was on top, face to face with Max and Maya and its user base is not larger because in no time at Autodesk gave a chance for it voltace competing.

In a moment she had intended to embrace Softimage as part of their
sales or marketing strategy.

Ok, ok, I ire blaspheme. @ _ @ #! & ^% $ @ *! Autodesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report