Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material ID and Object ID passes ?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
FalconCrest
7699 Views, 7 Replies

Material ID and Object ID passes ?

What is the purpose of Material ID and Object ID passes ?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: FalconCrest

to use them in compositing, to isolate elements and post process them if you need. They act as masks.
Message 3 of 8
FalconCrest

to use them in compositing, to isolate elements and post process them if you need. They act as masks.

They are another forms of masks, what about RAW passes, what is their purpose ? Do you know any tutorials on each of them specifically ?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

i'm sorry, i dont really get what you tryin to do. Do you need a guide on how to composite passes in general? Or just the material ID?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

here are some usefull links:

Mia_Material_X multioutput those are all the passes you can get out of mia.

rapidlibrary.com/files/mia-material-x-passes-in-depth-high-zip_ul8bc88fi9on.html

An overview on how to composite some of th em, done in maya but the concept is the same.

images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya_render_pass_concepts_and_techniques_whitepaper_us.pdf

A nice tutorial from Simon Reeves aboout compositing, done in fxtree.
www.simonreeves.com/2008/10/11/3d-compositing-guide-part-01/

you can easily find a lot of info about compositing in passes by googling "render passes compositing" or anything similar.

There are also a lot of books, also the Softimage doc shows some basic examples.

The RAW passes are the output passes that contains "Raw" data so they have all the info you might need. For normal compositing you might not need those, but if you miss some particular data and you want to split or do something advanced or more custom you can find them handy.

Best way to learn this is practice, and test. Do a simple scene and output passes, and try to rebuild it in comp.
Message 6 of 8
FalconCrest

here are some usefull links:

Mia_Material_X multioutput those are all the passes you can get out of mia.

rapidlibrary.com/files/mia-material-x-passes-in-depth-high-zip_ul8bc88fi9on.html

An overview on how to composite some of th em, done in maya but the concept is the same.

images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya_render_pass_concepts_and_techniques_whitepaper_us.pdf

A nice tutorial from Simon Reeves aboout compositing, done in fxtree.
www.simonreeves.com/2008/10/11/3d-compositing-guide-part-01/

you can easily find a lot of info about compositing in passes by googling "render passes compositing" or anything similar.

There are also a lot of books, also the Softimage doc shows some basic examples.

The RAW passes are the output passes that contains "Raw" data so they have all the info you might need. For normal compositing you might not need those, but if you miss some particular data and you want to split or do something advanced or more custom you can find them handy.

Best way to learn this is practice, and test. Do a simple scene and output passes, and try to rebuild it in comp.

You posted the same link twice with regards to the Maya Compositing Guide 🙂 I've Googled and searched and search to find exactly what a Material ID and a Object ID pass can do, especially on Vimeo and came out empty. All I'm getting from an ID pass is that different sections of the same object are different color (http://www.simonreeves.com/2008/10/11/3d-compositing-guide-part-01/) To me, is it a waste of time to export out the pass (ie ObjectID pass) then left scratching my head on what to do with that pass. You say that a RAW pass has all the info I might need, I want more elaboration on this.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

The link i gave you arent the same, so i dont understand where i posted it "twice".
One pdf shows you all the mia_material output passes available so you start to learn them visually.
The other is a link i've found that shows some random compositing.

The third link from simon reeves is just a normal compositing example.

Now to me it seems you are a little confused on compositing in general.
If to you it seems a waste of time to export ID passes or passes in general its because you dont need to do so. Or because you dont need to compose images.

The fact that there are passes doesnt mean that you always have to use them. When it makes sense to use you have them available.

I told you that ID passes are mainingly used as masks, and you consider this a waste of time.
Ok lets say you have an architectural render of a skycraper with 180 windows. Now you look at the render and you dont like how you rendered the transparency or glass of those windows, what do you do? re render everything?

Here you could just export an object ID pass where all your window have a constant color (saving your time to go and select them in photoshop manually). You open photoshop give the render layer this mask and voilà, you can use any effect you want in this particular area using the object ID pass on those windows.

This is the basic of photoshop, masks. How is it a waste of time?
Also you didnt apply enough into googling stuff because there are a lot of things regarding compositing and postwork.

here is one for example

www.ronenbekerman.com/photoshop-postwork-the-shipyard-breakdown/

As you can see the first is the raw render he ouptut from the 3d software, and after there is the final shot composited in photoshop. Guess what he used to isolate the elements and customized them in photoshop? Yep the ID Passes.

www.cgdigest.com/vray-render-elements/

www.vfxcommunity.com/index.php?topic=359.0

www.cgsource.net/render-passes--compositing.html

www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=19&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+composite+raw+passes#hl...

www.pixelcg.com/blog/?p=98

www.fxfx.org/index.php/2010/02/05/how-to-render-object-id-pass-and-use-it-in-after-effects/

www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=19&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+composite+raw+passes#hl...

Seriously you dont know how to use google?
Message 8 of 8
FalconCrest

The link i gave you arent the same, so i dont understand where i posted it "twice".
One pdf shows you all the mia_material output passes available so you start to learn them visually.
The other is a link i've found that shows some random compositing.

The third link from simon reeves is just a normal compositing example.

Now to me it seems you are a little confused on compositing in general.
If to you it seems a waste of time to export ID passes or passes in general its because you dont need to do so. Or because you dont need to compose images.

The fact that there are passes doesnt mean that you always have to use them. When it makes sense to use you have them available.

I told you that ID passes are mainingly used as masks, and you consider this a waste of time.
Ok lets say you have an architectural render of a skycraper with 180 windows. Now you look at the render and you dont like how you rendered the transparency or glass of those windows, what do you do? re render everything?

Here you could just export an object ID pass where all your window have a constant color (saving your time to go and select them in photoshop manually). You open photoshop give the render layer this mask and voilà, you can use any effect you want in this particular area using the object ID pass on those windows.

This is the basic of photoshop, masks. How is it a waste of time?
Also you didnt apply enough into googling stuff because there are a lot of things regarding compositing and postwork.

here is one for example

www.ronenbekerman.com/photoshop-postwork-the-shipyard-breakdown/

As you can see the first is the raw render he ouptut from the 3d software, and after there is the final shot composited in photoshop. Guess what he used to isolate the elements and customized them in photoshop? Yep the ID Passes.

www.cgdigest.com/vray-render-elements/

www.vfxcommunity.com/index.php?topic=359.0

www.cgsource.net/render-passes--compositing.html

www.pixelcg.com/blog/?p=98

www.fxfx.org/index.php/2010/02/05/how-to-render-object-id-pass-and-use-it-in-after-effects/

Seriously you dont know how to use google?

Sorry my mistake, you did not post the same link twice. I do know how to use Google, it was, how I was searching that I was coming up empty handed, I didn't realize it would be a serious offense. Although not completely empty handed, some of the links you supplied I had already come across, except there was no sarcasm attached. 😐

Thank you for the explanation on Object ID passes, again despite the serious offense of my google searching. It's understanding the difference between a Diffuse Pass and a Diffuse pass as mentioned in this short excerpt;
Diffuse - Direct illumination premultiplied by the surface colour.
Diffuse Raw - Direct illumination only.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report