Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premultiply Without Halo?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
2459 Views, 23 Replies

Premultiply Without Halo?

Received CG elements from client rendered over white with embedded alpha. New to smoke, normally I would bring this into After Effects and set to premultiply and choose white as the background color. The result is a shadow with no halo when comped over black (or any other color). Trying to get the same result in Smoke. Using a blend and comp node in the modular keyer gets me closer, but I still have a gray halo around the shadow. Obviously I could render it out of After Effects and bring it into Smoke, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do that.

Any suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Seems like a negative node after the alpha would do the same thing as 1-alpha using a Logic Op to subtract.

I think John was emphasizing the math involved.

And please,  can we log this as a feature request as mentioned earlier in the thread. Receiving graphics premultiplied on white happens all too often, and confuses many who dont know how to deal with it.  Then they end up shrinking the matte or doing something else which compromises the intended look of the graphic.

Message 22 of 24
nadja.greisdorfer

Is there a fix for that in Smoke 2017?

having the same problem with white background and can't figure out a work around.

thanks

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous

Use Matchbox "Premultiply on Black".

Stephen Beecher
Flame Artist, Creative Services, The Bridge
stephen.beecher@disney.com
818-569-4849
[Disney Logo]
Message 24 of 24
nadja.greisdorfer

Thank you Stephen!

solved my problem perfectly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report