Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting in CFX

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
adamt
329 Views, 2 Replies

Lighting in CFX

In the CFX i am trying to light a scene which contains 25 slowly rotating 3d Screens.

I made them using a rectangle shape in a font, extruded as 3d Text in Action, then applied a video track as a diffuse texture to front and back. I have a simple grey texture for the extrude.

I want to light the extruded edges, but i do not want any light to affect the video screens. However, when i put lights in the scene, the screens all behave as if i'm lighting everything.  

How do i tell Smoke to play the videos (diffuse textures) to render at full brightness regadless of the lights in the scene?

thanks

Adam

Flame 2020.3
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
fred.warren
in reply to: adamt

Hello Adam,

As far as I know a light cannot shade only the extrusion of a geometry. One thing you could try is to create a Light, position it close to the rectangle extrusion and change the Light Type from Point or Spot to Directional. Then change the direction toward the extrusion. Finally, make a connection from your 3D Text Axis to the Light so it follows the rotation.

If you don't know about it already, there's a user group that is more active than these forums on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/flame.logik/

You probably would have more answer if you posted it there.

fred

Frédéric Warren
User Experience Designer
Message 3 of 3
DavidCrites4631
in reply to: adamt

If you can keep your screen surfaces as separate objects, (you could keep each screen set and extrusion grouped with an axis). Using light linking, you could then use two sets of lights to light the objects independently, controlling the brightness of the screens and the extrusions independently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report