Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating creative tiles / patterns with multiple entries

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
chadi
425 Views, 4 Replies

Creating creative tiles / patterns with multiple entries

Hello dear friends

Actually this is not a question or a request, I was just wondering if you know some work-flow, hints, matchbox to produce creative patterns out of videos, pictures that can loop infinitely.

I have tried the Seamless matchbox and the Motif, both offer only few control, and I am always constraint to the original tiled video size.

Say I want to create the attached picture, any help ???

Happy holidays

Chadi

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jaseo
in reply to: chadi

Hi Chadi,

I was able to create your pattern using 2D transform.

I first made a tile image (3x2 door) which was 310x310.  

In 2D transform, I set Canvas Resolution to User Defined. As an example, I set it to 1920x1080.

Setting Texture/Repeat Mode to Tile Repeat. This created the pattern you posted. 

Using this in conjunction with Motif could be an option for other patterns.

cheers

Message 3 of 5
chadi
in reply to: jaseo

Thank you Jason

This is a neat and clean workflow for one entry, but what if I have more than 2 entries, and / or I want to interchange the pattern order.

On another question, what is the easiest way to make a comp between two inputs that are different in size, think of a 1920x1080 BG and a a small picture that will be (placed) or (float) on the big canvas

Many thanks again

Chadi

Message 4 of 5
chadi
in reply to: jaseo

Hi Jason

I tried this work flow to create the tile (attached picture), the thing is it is not really a comfortable and easy workflow if I want to change something, may be if I learn to do some expressions may be then it will be easier.

Let me know your opinion if this intrigues you

Best holidays

Chadi 

(you can see how I change the canvas size every time I want to add an elment

Message 5 of 5
jaseo
in reply to: chadi

Hi Chadi,

2D Transform works well creating the pattern from a tile, but to build a tile from elements, you could use Action. 

Action layer inputs can be any resolution. (and the action render resolution can be set too)

You could view the result of the 2D transform downstream while moving elements around in Action.

However, if it was something you were doing a lot and wanted greater creative control and flexibility, I think this is something that could be achieved in Matchbox.

hope that helps.

cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report