Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User parameters and body alignment

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
tarjeik
397 Views, 2 Replies

User parameters and body alignment

I'm trying to construct a frame of 2020 aluminium extrusions based on user parameters to define width, depth and height. I'm using a DWG drawing of the profile and created separate bodies from this for each length of extrusion. I'd like the frame to stay together when I adjust any of the user parameters, but I can't figure out a way to achieve this. I've tried both Align and separating each extrusion length into it's own component and adding Rigid joints. The below screenshots should illustrate what I'm trying to achieve.

Aligned frame

Alignment broken 

It's late and I feel like I'm missing something _really_ obvious - but what?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tarjeik
in reply to: tarjeik

Finally figured it out. I was adding "As-built joints" instead of normal "Joints". Never quite understood the "As-built joint" from the videos I've watched, but the tooltip clearly states that "Components maintain their current position".

Message 3 of 3
fulcrumusa
in reply to: tarjeik

I know it's been a long time since this post was made but I am currently struggling with the same issue. I get that "As-built" joint do not move the two components. It actually makes sense since the two components are already in the correct relationship.

However what does not make sense is the fact that the component relationship is not maintained after the joint is made. This makes "As built" joint do not intuitive. What is the point if the two components do not move together?

Normally, I wouldn't really care about it and would use regular joints. However, the problem that I am trying to solve would be much easier if I can join entire components and not joint origins. The components are properly aligned but do not have well-definable, matching joint origins. Furthermore, considering that Fusion360 is pushing the top-down design philosophy, the use of "As-built" joints would seem widespread. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report