Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open design or create new design

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
AK_Eric
894 Views, 17 Replies

Unable to open design or create new design

Was working yesterday.  Today when I open fusion 360, I am unable to open any of my designs, or create a new one:  When I mouse over the 'open' button, it doesn't highlight like other buttons do and clicking it has no effect.  When I create a new design the dialog comes up asking me for its name etc, but after I create it... nothing happens.

I've rebooted my machine, no change.  Macbook Air running osx 10.8.5.

I tried re-installing it, but it informed me I had the lastest version already.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
justin
in reply to: AK_Eric

Yep, I'm in the same boat.

Message 3 of 18
yoshimitsuspeed

Me too. I was just about to start a thread when I saw this one.
Very frusterating. I was supposed to get a lot done today. Instead I have spent all day trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer. Finally tried on my other computer to see the same behavior.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1229995573786339/
Message 4 of 18
justin
in reply to: yoshimitsuspeed

It would be really nice if Fusion 360 would be able to tell the user if there is a problem with the network.  Hell, it would be nice if it would at least fail gracefully in these cases.  

Message 5 of 18

Same here, I have 20 hours of work in the last two days and I cant get to any of it or start something new.  What are we lookin at here?  

Message 6 of 18
AK_Eric
in reply to: PeterMontague

5 hours later and I can get back in.  Too bad the entire day is blown.  How can Autodesk expect this to be used as a production tool?  Very frustrating.

Message 7 of 18
PeterMontague

Im back in as well but everything makes it crash now.
Message 8 of 18
rishivadher

Hi
I think the Autodesk Cloud server is going on maintenance until the 17 of August that may be the reason that you’re experience some problems.

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2014/08/autodesk-cloud-server-maintenance-on-august-16.ht...

Best Rishi Vadher

Message 9 of 18
justin
in reply to: rishivadher

Yes, I'm (fairly) sure that's the culprit.  However, they don't list Fusion 360.  I'm guessing it's Autodesk 360  that was the issue or, possibly, Autodesk 360 is an inclusive term for all * 360 products.  

Regardless, I'd love to have a "I'm connected and all is well" icon or indicator.  That would be a good start...

Fusion 360 has come along quite well, however, these simple issues are really an issue for me.  

Message 10 of 18
rishivadher
in reply to: justin

Hi Justin
You can put that in idea station, about the icon to indicate that state, but there is a way to go offline.
And hope that this issues are related to Autodesk 360
Best Rishi Vadher

Message 11 of 18
yoshimitsuspeed

Yeah this is completely unacceptable and makes me question if this can actually be a usable solution for my business.
Have two sepearate servers that back each other up or something.
It would also point out that all of our information is stored in one location. If so then one flood or lightning strike and all our work could be gone. 

There is a thread in the idea station that I think should be mentioned here.
I believe that fusion 360 should be able to operated independently and should be able to save to your hard drive as well as the cloud.

On top of all this and I will stress that fusion 360 should never be unusable or unavaliable if for any reason it is there needs to be some sort of notification. Even beyond a connected notification or something if there is server maintenence being done or if the server is down or anything else is preventing use of the system there should be a popup notification in fusion 360 that tells you what is happening and when it will be resolved.

And finally.

"Autodesk Cloud Operations will be performing the monthly Microsoft security maintenance to our windows server "
No wonder you guys are having problems.
Who uses Windows servers?

Message 12 of 18
justin

I agree with most of what you said.  

Regarding MS servers, though, I have to disagree a bit.  I took a break from engineering for a couple of years and worked for one of the Big 4 firms as a SI consultant.  I was dev lead on a number of MS projects (for state governments).  I also worked on the financial models for the world's largest FX.  Availability and DR should be a no brainer (as well as caching, etc).

I'm really happy with Fusion 360 recently (even though we pay for Inventor as well).  I'd like to see them run a little more professional show though. 

Please, sweet CAD master in the sky, tell me that Fusion 360 isn't a Mono project on the Mac!  Please...

Message 13 of 18
rishivadher
in reply to: justin

Hi
I think this is still not fully functional haven’t personally participate on any case of it
But I think there is a way to a configurator your on server to store your information and access, but link it to Fusion still don’t know how
https://client.autocad360.com/settings.html#/storage
as prints that are above can show.

Message 14 of 18
AK_Eric
in reply to: rishivadher

+1 to everything yoshimitsuspeed said 

I'm new to the software and the forums (so could be delving into something that's been rehased ad-nausem in the past), currently exploring 360 as an option to my toolchain.  I've been using Maya since it came out, PowerAnimator & 3d Studio before that etc..., so I'm well versed in professional grade 3d software for the past 20+ years.

It blows my mind that as a concept, a piece of software is released that can completely block a paying customer (note, I'm not paying for it, just on the trial) from using it, "because reasons".  If I had an order\design due but my software wouldn't open the file?  That's just... crazy.  I've only used the software for a handfull of hours now.  If I've already hit an issue like this... what other landmines are out there?

Bums me out since otherwise the software has some really nice features.

Message 15 of 18
yoshimitsuspeed

Got on and worked for about 20 min then the screen went all gray. Closed and reopend the file which didn't help so I closed and restarted the program and now am back to the same state as yesterday. Can't open anything.
This is now two days that I have not had access to any of my data and have been unable to get anything done.

Message 16 of 18
banshee10

I'm very confused - isn't Fusion 360 still an alpha-test thing?  It's clearly not close to production-quality software; I'm finding it frustrating for even hobby projects.  I can't imagine actually depending on this for anything.

(I'm on a mac, so maybe the world is completely different on Windows.)

----
James Moore
james@restphone.com
Message 17 of 18
justin
in reply to: banshee10

As soon as I pay for it and they push it to startups - it's not alpha.  

Regardless of the frustration yesterday (Saturday), I'd still recommend Fusion 360 to most folks.  The only reason we buy Inventor HSM now is, obviously, for the CAM - however, we can't go into production with 5A (Ahhh!)

Message 18 of 18
yoshimitsuspeed
in reply to: banshee10

I completely agree with justin. Once I start paying for it I expect proffessional software.

I used Freecad for a long time and compared to that F360 is generally a breeze and much less frusterating.  Then again Freecad was free and is still very much a pre release. It is what you expect it to be. I moved to F360 partially because Freecad didn't do everything I needed and because I couldn't afford all the time lost in dealing with bugs and trying to troubleshoot and problem solve incomplete software.
Even then I never lost access to my work or the ability to do work for two days.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report