Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuff you need to know: Sculpt boxy mode

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
patrick.miller
1154 Views, 21 Replies

Stuff you need to know: Sculpt boxy mode

A new video for the help. This video explains why you model sometimes switches to "boxy" mode and what you might do to resolve that. Now you know...

Please provide any thoughts you have. Thanks!

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Thanks for adding these Patrick.

Some things for consideration.

Tips and tricks and N2K videos  should really be organized in a new section  within the Learn tab up top called Need to knows or <add other title that fits better> it seems like something was started there and its been abandoned.

One of the most annoying things with discussion groups in general (autodesk ones are no exception) is the way they are organized and that there may be really good stuff linked here and there somewhere but its buried in amongst a whole pile of other crap.

Tips and tricks would be its own thread and also sticky so it remains up top or near the top. if you must keep it in the discuss tab, then have a link from the learn tab back to the relevant discussion group thread that's got additional resources or info tips tricks N2K's etc.

By all means post a link to it from the discussion group to the appropriate place, it would really be good to clean up the discussion groups and keep the good stuff easy to find rather than buried while its still early days.

Do you have access to edit stuff on the learn tab??

Please stop this discussion group from turning into another load of crap, there's still time to pull out of the nosedive!.

There is also whole heap of functionality missing from these discussion groups as well but that whole other topic.

Cheers!

Carl

Message 3 of 22
stevie.d
in reply to: CarlFrischmuth

I've just been adding any  links to threads (including this one)  I find useful as a learning resource into the  tips and tricks section,

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Getting-Started/General-Tips-and-Tricks/td-p/3822689 if nothing else, personally I know where to look for help, I did ask would be it possible to move it to the Using section rather than the Getting Started as a lot of the content is more suited to this I believe, no one has answered my request.

It has been my main issue with this beta, as there doesn't seem to be any management of content especially , help and learning, which should be a very Important consideration, Not only should they be concerned with showcasing the features of the software but also showing users how to use them. And, rather than telling people how much they're listening and considering this and that for the future,they could be making small efforts to properly manage and improve the resources they have to hand now. 

Message 4 of 22
keqingsong
in reply to: stevie.d

@stevie.d wrote:

I've just been adding any  links to threads (including this one)  I find useful as a learning resource into the  tips and tricks section,

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Getting-Started/General-Tips-and-Tricks/td-p/3822689 if nothing else, personally I know where to look for help, I did ask would be it possible to move it to the Using section rather than the Getting Started as a lot of the content is more suited to this I believe, no one has answered my request.

It has been my main issue with this beta, as there doesn't seem to be any management of content especially , help and learning, which should be a very Important consideration, Not only should they be concerned with showcasing the features of the software but also showing users how to use them. And, rather than telling people how much they're listening and considering this and that for the future,they could be making small efforts to properly manage and improve the resources they have to hand now. 

I hear you loud and clear Stevie. General Tips and Tricks has been moved to the Using Fusion 360 section. Onboarding users and making sure that they have a good getting started experience is crucial to us, and we are working on revamping the community hub's learn page by our product launch in June to enable better content discoverability and presentation. The forums can definitely use better organization and management, and is something we're also working on improving. Thank you again for all your contributions, they are highly valued and appreciated. 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 5 of 22
stevie.d
in reply to: keqingsong

Thanks  Keqingsong, should it perhaps be a sticky like it was in the getting started section as this forum gets busier it is just going to sink!

Message 6 of 22
keqingsong

I believe it is, no? Or are you talking about this thread? 

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 7 of 22
stevie.d

Don't think so, it should have a grey band across the title and be near/at the top of the threads list ?

Message 8 of 22
CarlFrischmuth

Hi Kequingsong,

How can you be a board manager if you dont even know how to make a thread sticky or what a sticky thread looks like? Cat Sad

These discussion groups need to be lifted out of average, past good and somewhere into awesome, are you even capable of doing that?

We need less talk and more action!

Tips and tricks are a lot more useful and need to be sticky, to be easily found by others quickly and easily, it should be obvious its not this thread.

Cheers

Carl

Message 9 of 22
CarlFrischmuth

Thanks Stevie.d!

Phew! at least someones switched on! Cat Very Happy

Cheers

Carl

Message 10 of 22
keqingsong

Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 3.30.17 PM.png

I did sticky it as soon as I replied to Stevie's post. This is what I see...does this show up for you as well? There may be some lag time between stickying it and you seeing it? 

@stevie.d wrote:

Don't think so, it should have a grey band across the title and be near/at the top of the threads list ?

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 11 of 22
stevie.d

That's odd I don't see that at all this is what I'm seeing this morning 7.50 a.m which is 8 hrs ahead?? the tips and tricks only went to the top because I just did aan update before the screen grab, don't see the threads you're seeing form_view.jpg

Message 12 of 22
CarlFrischmuth

Mine looks the same as Stevie.d, the other threads shown grey dont exist and theres only the top one thats grey like in Stevies pic. Tips and tricks still sinks as this thread goes above it when its updated.

I deleted the cache in safari on the ipad to see if it refreshes and its still the same.

Cf
Message 13 of 22
keqingsong

Okay, I'm glad that we're uncovering a deeper issue here in terms of forum organization. Figuring out to fix this...we're get there. 

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 14 of 22
keqingsong

All Tips and Tricks should be stickied at the top now. Let me know if you see it. 

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 15 of 22
stevie.d

S'good Thanks

Message 16 of 22
keqingsong

Great, thank you and CarlFrischmuth for your patience on this!

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 17 of 22
CarlFrischmuth

Thanks Keqingsong,  It looks better now, at least its a start int he right direction.

If im working 10 -12 hour days I dont have that much time left to fiddle about searching for cool stuff in your forum, please bear this in mind when making future enhancments. I cant speak for the rest of the internet but in general I would imagine it would be similar short attention span.

- Is it awesome?

- Is it easily accessible?

- Is it easily discoverable?

- is it fun?

- is it useful?

- is it relevant?

If the answer is no to any of these then you need to do whatever you can to make it a yes.

Im not sure if its possible -- Within each of your sticky threads the tips (+ the replies to that tip if any) need to be ranked by kudos, so the ones with the most kudos rise up to the top of the thread. The sequence of date&time when they were added is really pretty much irrelevant.

This way within 10 seconds i can check out whats up, find whats hot & decide to hang around & investigate further or not.

If im fumbling about after 20 seconds in a useless loop, im usually going to be looking for whats next and im outta there.

Cheers

Carl

Message 18 of 22

Also you need to get rid of this duplicate thread.

Cheers

Carl

Message 19 of 22
keqingsong

@CarlFrischmuth wrote:

Also you need to get rid of this duplicate thread.

Cheers

Carl

Thanks for the feedback Carl.

To your point about the duplicate thread, this is the nature of the existing forum infrastructure where when you sticky or "Float" a thread to the top, it creates a shortcut at the top, essentially stickying it, leaving the original at the bottom. The thing about this is that if I delete the original thread, it also deletes the stickied thread as well. 

Thanks for understanding!

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 20 of 22
CarlFrischmuth

hmm,   oh well...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report