Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set scale of whole design based on existing element?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JeffAPritchard
842 Views, 2 Replies

Set scale of whole design based on existing element?

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this.

I am currenty using Fusion 360 to create a 2D drawing for a permit request for adding a garage to my house.

I brought in a png of my survey map (to get size/location of house and lot lines etc.) as a canvas on a sketch just for reference layer.

I created a sketch layer where I have placed sketch lines/rectangles for the features I am interested in from the above reference layer.

Now I would like to take an element in this drawing that I know the dimension of (like the width of the house for instance) and use that to set the scale of the whole drawing.  The end goal is to be able to get dimensions for other things in the drawing using Fusion's inspect features and have them agree with the scaling that I have done based on that one known element.

So far, I can't find any features in Fusion that will let me "tell" it what the global scale is for an existing design.  It would be ideal if I could just "tell" it the real length of something in the design and have it adjust the scale of the whole design accordingly.  

I would settle for a way to calculate a "scale setting" based on my knowledge of some specific feature and what Fusion currently believes the dimension of that to be.  Something like "from now on, treat 2 millimeters in this design as 25 feet in the real world".

Haven't found a way to do either of these.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hello,

As it stands right now the only way I can think to accomplish this is to define the scale of the png at the start of your process.  We have the capability to calibrate a canvas which would allow you to define a distance on the image and tell Fusion how far this is.  It will then scale the image to accomodate that updated size.  From there you should be able to create lines that are the correct distance.

You can find hte calibrate option by opening up the canvas folder in your browser tree, locating the image, RMB and choose calibrate.

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 10.07.37 AM.png

We don't yet have the capability to scale sketch geometry, but you can help upvote this on our IdeaStation.  Another use has already submitted this as additional requested functionality and it is something we are looking at.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/add-scale-and-rotate-to-the-sketch-to...

If I may ask what is your expected output for this?  You mentioned a 2D drawing for a permit request?  Are you planning to create this geometry in 3D and then create drawings from that or are you trying to leverage 2D throughout the entire process?

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3

Thanks Joel,

I will give this a try...but will also up-vote the feature request, as I have missed the ability to set scale on things after starting a design in the past (working on a standing desk project).

Scaling things is such an important part of designing and building anything, that any feature related to that becomes very key to making the application more than just a pretty face.  This is needed in order to make it truly functional.  If one is just making pretty pictures or producing virtual prototypes with no plans to actually build something, then scaling seems somewhat secondary.  As soon as you start trying to put it into the real world, scaling features are key...whether it is 3D printing something, a sketch from which to build something large (like a building), or plans from which to build a go-kart or a piece of furniture.

To answer your question, plan-review by the County only requires 2D drawings.  Later I will augment this Fusion design into the 3D domain for actual design and preparation for building it.  The 3D features should make it easier to make material and shape choices to get a nice-looking result and make it easier to visualize certain choices about construction details.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report