Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seperating body parts via selection.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
smeggy
847 Views, 3 Replies

seperating body parts via selection.

Hey all.

Is there any way to select part of a body and seperate it as a new body? I l know we can split faces and bodies based on lines, planes etc. but, for instance, If I were to model a bicycle wheel as a single rim/tire frofile and decided later to seperate the tire from the rim, I can't find any way of detaching based on selection. 

I doubt this feature is available so if anyone knows of a way to do it without remaking the thing I would love to know what it is.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SallyYang
in reply to: smeggy

Thanks for posting this topic to us. I am sorry to say that we cannot create new body based on the selection currently. However, as a workaround, you can "Create Selection Set" to distinguish the different parts inside body. Please add a kudo to the IdeaStation item for this if you want to raise the priority!

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
deyop
in reply to: SallyYang

Just a note, when sculpting with T-Splines it is possible to select a set of faces and Copy/Paste the current selection.  This provides a new body with just the copied faces.  This of course only applies to T-Splines.

Message 4 of 4
jakefowler
in reply to: smeggy

For a solid/surface BRep model, a trick that might work for this is to use the Offset tool in the Patch workspace (if your design is a Parametric design, you'll need to start a Base Feature to access this tool). Select the faces of interest, and just offset these by 0mm, which will give you an identical copy of your selected faces. If the result will likely be an open surface body, so to turn this into a separate solid you'll probably need to use the Patch tools to create surfaces that 'fill-in the gaps', and then use the Stitch tool to form these into a solid body. If this doesn't work for you, get in touch!

Hope this helps,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report