Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions re: hole & thread on body

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
robzr
906 Views, 5 Replies

Questions re: hole & thread on body

I'm trying to add holes and threads on some model parts.  I'm having trouble with two things -

1- I cannot seem to locate holes other than via snapping to grid, or turning that off and locating them by freehand.  Oddly enough they won't to a point or a plane, and when I moved to part so I could snap it to the origin it won't - it tries to snap it +/- .5 mm off the origin.  Really frustrating since you can't move a hole.  And my part is a rotated sketch so I can't sketch the the holes in.  

2- What sizing should I be making my holes in order to default or easily select the threading?  Ex: I'm trying to thread 1/8 NPT 1/4 NPT and 1 1/8-18 UNEF; what diameter should my intial holes be?  I've tried major, minor and the named diameters but nothing seems to consistently work.

Rob

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcnurlin
in reply to: robzr

1 - When you learn the trick about dimensioning holes it works pretty good. When you have your hole placed click the edges you want dimensions to and they'll show up. I saw it one of the videos in help.

2 - When you add threads to a hole it doesn't matter what size the hole is. The thread dialog box will resize the hole to what's required.

Message 3 of 6
SallyYang

The above answers are correct, thank you very much!

Attach the screenshot of dimensioning a hole, you need to click the center point to make it active and then select reference lines.

hole.png

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: SallyYang

Is this method of accurately placing a hole available with curved bodies? When I place holes in cylinders, I don't see hole position input boxes. It would be very helpful if I could locate holes, for example, at a specified distance from the end of a cylinder. Tnx.

Message 5 of 6
robzr

OK - so I can get that method to work with a box; but when I create a cylinder by sketching a profile and then rotating, it never lets me select and end of the cylinder.  I would think this is a pretty common operation, as rotating a sketch is mimicking anything turned on a lathe.  Is there a way to precisely locate a hole on the side of a cylindrical shape?

Rob

Message 6 of 6
SallyYang

I am sorry that we have a limitation in this case. The workaround is a little complex with much more steps:

1. Create a tangent plane to cylinder

2. Project the cylinder edges to the tangent plane

3. Add a sketch point

4. Add you dimension between sketch point and projected lines

5. Add Hole by selecting the sketch point

I have reported this issue to development team to get a resolution. Hope it could be fixed in future releases.  

Many thanks for your post!

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report