Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push/Pull changes

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Helmi74
1339 Views, 3 Replies

Push/Pull changes

Hi,

it looks like the behaviour of push/pull has changed. In previous version you could select as many face as you want for push pull as long as you haven't yet started pushing or pulling. That made it easy to do multiple push/pull at once. After you started moving the arrow clicking another face was seens as a "push coplanar to this face" command. I found that handy overall.

Now with the latest version this has changed i can't yet find out what the rules are. Sometimes i could select multiple faces, another time clicking the second face directly pushes or pulls the first selected face coplanar to this face. As the user interface once again gives no idea to how this is intended to work. The short help bubble that dissappears quicker than i can read it sounds like it should still be like it was in earlier versions (and yes, i just found out i can pin this bubbles).

Any help for how this should be working now?

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
joel.palioca
in reply to: Helmi74

Hi Helmi,

I am looking into this now.  

After you invoke the Press/Pull command and select your first face, if you change your Offset Type to "New Offset" does this allow you to select multiple faces and work as you were expecting?

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: joel.palioca

Hi Helmi,

I think that what you are seeing here is the behavior of Press/Pull in a parametric design.  In a parametric design, Fusion interprets Press/Pull as a "smart" edit operation.  If the Press/Pull is on a face of a Feature, we can turn the edit into an edit of the feature.  For instance, on an extruded rectangle:

press pull 1.png

I show the sketch as visible to show the orientation of the feature.  In this case, if I press/pull on a side face, this is interpreted as a move of the underlying sketch line from that face:

press pull 2.png

Here you can see that the sketch is being modified.  In this mode, you are limited to one face at a time (because Fusion can only drive one sketch line at a time).  This behavior has been part of Fusion since the introduction of parametric design in January.  This is a difference in behavior from Direct Modeling.  You can get the Direct behavior, although the workflow today is a bit awkard (and we are working to improve it).  When you start Press/Pull, select one face.  Then, in the dialog, for Offset Type, choose New Offset:

press pull 3.png

Then, you will get a behavior that is closer to the Direct Modeling behavior - you can select multiple faces:

press pull 4.png

And note, the sketch is not updated in this mode.  Instead, this operation will add a new Offset feature to your timeline:

press pull 5.png

I hope this sheds some light on the behavior you are seeing.  And thank you for the feedback - your input has caused us to realize that the behavior may be surprising, and we are re-thinking how to present this capability.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 4
Helmi74
in reply to: jeff_strater

Jeff, thanks. That solved the problem for now.

This is just one of the behaviours which is surprising but as i will be in a UX call this week i probdf

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report