Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Cut Edges Sculpt Cylinder not a circle

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
davoque
391 Views, 2 Replies

Project Cut Edges Sculpt Cylinder not a circle

I created a simple cylinder using sculpt and finished the sculpting, then placed a construction plane half way up, started a sketch on the plane and projected the cut edges of the cylinder onto the sketch, expecting a perfect circle.

However, though it looks like a perfect cirle, it isn't and trying to use sketch contraints like tangent, don't work.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
deyop
in reply to: davoque

Solid and Patch models are based on a different type of geometry than Sculpt.  The method of defining a cylinder in solids is precise.  For any point on a cylinder there is an exact offset distance from the center.  Sculpt geometry is based on NURBS surfaces and although close, they are not precise like solid and patch.  The advantage of the sculpt geomtery is the abilty to edit it easily.  We could do a better job of distinguishing the results of project so you wouldn't be surprised.

If a precise intersection with the plane is important choose the solid or patch geometry.  That being said you can constrain other geometry such as splines to the project from the sculpt entity however I couldn't manage the tangency with a closed circle as you may have tried.

CylinderCrossSection.png

Message 3 of 3
davoque
in reply to: deyop

Thanks for the quick response.

I need the flexibility of being able to edit the sculpt and have other geometry follow it.

I figured out a work around to get a tangent, by drawing a construction line out from the centre through out past the egde, then drawing another construction line perpendicular to that but not connected, then take the end of the second line and apply a coincident constraint to the first line and the "circle".

2014-11-18_6-12-35.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report