Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project curve onto surface... how?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
AK_Eric
4796 Views, 2 Replies

Project curve onto surface... how?

I have done quite a bit of searching, I just can't figure out how to do this:

Imagine I have cube, and a few inches above that some sketch with a curve on it.  I need to project that curve down on to the top face of the cube based on some orthographic axis / worldspace vector to create a new sketch.  Or, project it onto an existing sketch already on that face.  I've seen posts from a year ago asking about this, but has there been any resolution?  Seems like a basic function that so many other apps have, I must be missing it?  Bonus points if it can project onto a curved surface successfully.  That is really needed as well.

I see the 'Sketch -> Project / Include -> Project To Surface' menu, which sounds to be exactly what I want.... but I have no idea how it works: I found this, but it in no way tells you how to use it.  I've done all the youtube tutorials I can find, but my brain just ain't wrappin' itself around those tools.

Many thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AK_Eric
in reply to: AK_Eric

I guess I can answer this a bit myself:  Posting in case anyone else had this problem.  I found what I believe to be a bug with the tool interaction.  I'm on a Macbook Air, OSX 10.8.5, Fusion 360 2.0.1291 : 

'Sketch -> Project / Include -> Project To Surface' is what you want.  How to use it:

• Have nothing selected, exectute the tool.
  • The first time you execute the tool, it will prompt you to select a reference build plane or surface immediately (before the tool menu pops up).  What I learned is, whatever face I select will prohibit me from selecting it again in the next step.  The exact opposite of what I want.  Cancel the tool.
  • Execute the tool again.  This time it won't prompt you for the reference build plane/face: I can now select 'the face' I want to project to from the tool menu.  After it is selected, I change the tool to "curves" and pick the curves I want to project.  As I pick them I can see a new red representation of the projection.  Nice.
  • Hit ok:  New sketch created, curves projected.  Success.

The issue I've had is that first step the first time I execute the tool, that would prevent me from projecting to the selected surface\face.

What's weird is the "broken" step appears randomly:  As I repeat this workflow sometimes it pops up, sometimes it doesn't.  buggy 😞

Message 3 of 3
sanjay_jayabal
in reply to: AK_Eric

Hi Eric,

If you start the process with nothing selected, the first selection you are making is the face for the new sketch to be located.  Then the tool pops up for you to actually start the process of projecting and you are right there appears to be a bug in that it doesn't let you select the same face (that the sketch is located on) to project to.  When you cancel and try again, you are already in the sketch that you started and the projecting process works.  Alternately, if you were to start a new sketch first by clicking Sketch and selecting the desired face first, then start the Project to Surface command, it works as you expect.  Thank you for reporting this.

best regards,

Sanjay Jayabal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report