Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing First Point for Basic Geometry

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
indycarbruce
500 Views, 6 Replies

Placing First Point for Basic Geometry

I want to be able to place the starting point for basic geometry (lines, rectangles, cubes,etc) at a specific point.  I realize there is no command line like in AutoCad, which is frustrating, but how can I do this?  The only work-around I know is to move the object after I create it.  Very inefficient.  I like a lot of things about Fusion 360, but the most basic operations are really lacking.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
herzinj
in reply to: indycarbruce

Hi indycarbruce,

One option that you might consider would be to use the Sketch: Point command.  Here, you can easily place the point at the center of your sketch (0,0,0) and then right click on it and choose move.  When you do this, you will be able to input how far you would like to move it in the X, Y and Z directions.  From there, you can easily draw your basic geometry from the specific point that you created.  I agree that this could have a better process, but this method might save you some time!  I'll follow up with some of the experts to see if they have any other suggestions, but I thought this might get you started.

Please let me know what other questions you have as you keep learning!

James Herzing

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 3 of 7
Jon.Dean

When you are in Sketch mode, the grid is graduated, so it is quite easy to pick your spot.

Fusion360_Sketch_Mode.png

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 4 of 7
indycarbruce
in reply to: Jon.Dean

Jon,

Understood and thanks.  But I need to be able to position features more precisely.  There's not even a X-Y read-out of where the first point is being located when I move my mouse around for the first point.

Bruce

Message 5 of 7
Jon.Dean

One for the IdeaStation then:

I totally agree with you and as soon as you post your request on the IdeaStation, I will endorse it for you.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 6 of 7
indycarbruce
in reply to: Jon.Dean

Jon,

I put this out there in IdeaStation:  "Precision input needed to position geometry".

Bruce

Message 7 of 7
Jon.Dean

Excellent, I placed my vote.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report