Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts or components "falling apart" when inserted into a new Fusion 360 doc.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jdmech
821 Views, 10 Replies

Parts or components "falling apart" when inserted into a new Fusion 360 doc.

I need a little help here. New user-"itus"

Ok, so in a previous post, I mentioned that I am trying to model a simple DC Muffin fan.

I'm using this example as an entry tutorial for me and Fusion 360. After modeling, i save the document.

It uploads to my 360 Experience folder and is displayed in the list. When dragging the new fan into a new document,

all of the fan blades that were created then 'combined' to the hub appear disconnectedor exploded outward.

Did I do - or - not do something correct here?

Thanks - JD

fan blade disaster.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
NicolasXu
in reply to: jdmech

Hi JD,

Sorry to hear the problem you have experienced. 

It seems there are something wrong during the Insert Design. Could you post the Fan model here so we can take a further look? You can either Export it as .F3d format or Share Public Link with me by enabling the download permission. (My email address: lixiong.xu[AT]autodesk.com)

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 11
jan_priban1
in reply to: NicolasXu

Hi JD,

When you create your model of fun, arrange its componnets by Assembly -> Joint. This possitiong is "permanent". Means when you insert such constrained model into assembly (entire PC) constrains remain. But if you just arrange componnet by Move command, such arrangement is not permanent = ingnored when placed into assembly (entire PC). 

Regards

Jan Priban, QA engineer, Fusion 360

Message 4 of 11
jdmech
Message 5 of 11
NicolasXu

Hi JD,

Thanks for sharing the model. I can reproduce the problem.

After looking into the model, there are some Move operation of blade body was not recorded in timeline. We can use the “Compute All” command under the Modify drop-down menu to reproduce the issue. (When inserting design, Fusion will re-create features based on the history, which exposes the problem.)

I have repaired the model and attached it here for your reference. Just to confirm, did you once use the Point to Point method when moving the blade body? If yes, it should be the root cause and we have fixed it in internal build. The build will be released soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please keep feedback coming.

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 11
jdmech

Wow didn't realize I had stumbled onto a bug. Thought I just overlooked something.

And yes, i was using the point to point placement tool. Thanks for the help!!
JD

Message 7 of 11
kgrunawalt

I believe that this problem has been fixed in the latest release. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Message 8 of 11
jdmech
in reply to: kgrunawalt

Glad I was able to help expose the break - so the fine AutoDesk AE's could quickly fix it!

Nice work!

Cheers! - JD

Message 9 of 11
ianlee74

I believe I'm having this same problem.  Is there something I need to do with models created in the previous version to fix them?  I also use the point-to-point move regularly.

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue29c36f6/shares/public/SH7f1edQT22b515c761ef84a2575d6d47bbd

Thanks!

Ian

Message 10 of 11
kgrunawalt
in reply to: ianlee74

If the move of a body via point-point did not create a move feature in the timeline using the previous version, you need to do the move again to create the feature so that the move is remembered properly. You can do this in the model you inserted into or in the original. If you do this in the original, you need to do a Modify-->Compute All first so that you see the model in the real state with misplaced bodies..You may want to move the history marke before invoking mover to add the move feature before other operations.

If you fix the original, you still need to fix the model where it was inserted. One way is to use a version before the bad insert and do the insert withe fixed child model. Future X-ref inserts will not require this.

Note: people sometimes confuse moving bodies within a component with moving the component itself. The move dialog has a mode selection. Make sure it is set correctly. Only move body will create a feature in the timeline. Move component will cause the snapshot command to be enabled for those cases where the component position needs to be stored in the timeline for later modeling operations. Often you want to move a component or drive a joint without storing the move in the timeline.
Message 11 of 11
ianlee74

@kgrunawalt - re-assembling my model seems to have fixed it and I can now drop it into a new model and it stays assembled.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report