Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question about bodies versus t-splines

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
codefoster
427 Views, 4 Replies

Noob question about bodies versus t-splines

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm just starting to learn Fusion 360. I've seen a lot of videos and run through a few tutorials, but for whatever reason still don't know the answer this this conceptual question.

When would I choose to edit bodies versus edit t-splines? What's the difference? Is it easy/common to jump between the two modelling methods? What if I wanted to model a screwdriver handle. Should I start with a cylindrical body or with a cylindrical t-spline? If I already have a body that is roughly cylindrical in shape and want to expand or contract its diameter in certain places, is that possible, or does that body have to be converted to a t-spline?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
carl_bass
in reply to: codefoster

Most screwdrivers you could easily model without t-splines. For really fancy sculptural ones you could use t-splines, but mostly they wouldn't be needed

Here's a model of the screwdriver sitting on my desk. It consists of two components -- one for the shaft and one for the handle all modeled with extrudes, revolves, patterns and fillets

screwdriver.PNG

Message 3 of 5
codefoster

Thank you. Can any given component be only bodies or only t-splines or can a component be made up of both?
Message 4 of 5
carl_bass

The general rule of thumb is to think of components as real world parts in the thing you're designing. Bodies are usually used as intermediate tools for modelling. There's a decent video here. You can find it by searching fusion help for "bodies"

zz.PNG

Message 5 of 5
shilei.zhang

Hi, Codefoster;

Actually, Tspline body is just an option for creating more complicated bodies which you are unlikely to manage with just Brep.

As for the screwdriver handle, you could create it with just Brep body , like what Carl did.

Once you are facing some shapes are not so mechanical, (like the picture A), Brep is  not enough. Then this would be the good time for you to use Tspline.( Picture B)

But no matter which tool you are using, the model is going to be Brep eventually for manufacturing, Tspline is just a more free way to solve free shapes.

You could use both Brep bodies and Tspline bodies when you create any component.

Hope what i said helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report