Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a Sketch into a component possible ?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
TrippyLighting
1336 Views, 10 Replies

Moving a Sketch into a component possible ?

The Tips for Large Assembly Management suggest that a sketch can be moved into a component. I've tried somply dragging sketes from the top level into a subcomponet in an assemby but it dind not work.

Can this actually be done and how ?

Peter Doering
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hmm...  Let me look into that.  I thought it was possible, too, but I just tried it now, and you are correct.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 11

I have tried drag sketch browser node (not sketches) and it can drag to a subcomponent. Is there any special workflows?

Message 4 of 11
SallyYang
in reply to: TrippyLighting

There are 2 kinds of sketches, a referenced sketch which often worked as some reference profiles of features and a free sketch which usually has no dependency on it. The free sketches could be moved to sub-component by drag and drop the sketch instance into the target component node of browser. However, the referenced sketch cannot be moved into other components currently. 

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 11
TrippyLighting
in reply to: SallyYang

Thanks for the replies.

I'd venture a guess that in a 3D modeling environment the vast majority of sketches are referenced and are used to create geometry. 

While it may make sense to prevent a sketch that is referenced by Component-A can be moved to Compoent-B, it does not make sense not to allow that a sketch that for example is use to create the base extrusion for component-A cannot also be moved to Component-A.

The only way to currently ensure that a Sketch is part of the component structure is to first create a an empty component, then activate the component and then create the sketch. If a user forgets to strictly adhere to this practice - things happen under tight timelines - and later on wants to export the component for re-use in another design the sketch is missing. That is really an unnecessary limitation.

Peter Doering
Message 6 of 11

So "the system" sked me per email whether  I received a helpful answer and if I could mark one as an Accepted Solution.

Well...NO.

I still cannot move a sketch into the very component (and the only one) that references it. 

Peter Doering
Message 7 of 11
SallyYang
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Sorry to say that we currently have technical limitation on cut/paste referenced sketches, so you cannot drag & drop the references sketch into other component/s . I've filed an improvement for this issue and hope we can resolve it in future releases. If you want to escalate this improvement, would you please report it to our idea station, so everyone could vote for it if they also prefer ideas/improvements. Thank you for your continuous feedback.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 11
TrippyLighting

Hi Sally,

thanks for your support. I created a post in the Idea Station

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 11
cekuhnen

Any update? I ran into a situation where I need to move things around a lot to make the design easier to read!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 10 of 11
jeff_strater
in reply to: cekuhnen

Unfortunately, still on the "to do" list...  Thanks for your patience.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 11 of 11
cekuhnen
in reply to: jeff_strater

ah thanks

this really is important to have because otherwise a design will get hard to browser read specifically when you come back weeks later or a different person reads it.

components are somewhat ideal at least in the browser to establish some clarity.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report