Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a box along rollers

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jjcolletta
299 Views, 5 Replies

Moving a box along rollers

All

I have searched but I may not be asking the correct question.  Is there a way to add a slider or planar joint to a cylinder wall?  Imagine a box moving horizontally along a series of rollers.  When I do a joint command I can select the bottom of the box but not the face of the roller.

Please for give me if this is a noob question due to the fact I am. 

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
joel.palioca
in reply to: jjcolletta

Hello,

So at the moment we don't have a way for a joint to choose a cylinder wall without some trickery.  If this is something you are looking for you can create an Idea on the Ideastation that will help us to understand new features or enhancements that are important to you.

Something that you may be able to do to achieve a similar result to what you are looking to do is to leverage the Joint Origin command.  If you create a Joint origin from the center of the cylinder and then move the origin to one of the walls the radius of the cylinder you should be able to create a similar affect.

Here is a video of a quick example.  Obviously you would add your box on top that would move with the Rigid Group.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
jjcolletta
in reply to: joel.palioca

Joel

Close and once I can describe it better I will add it to the new feature want list.  

Here is what i was trying to ask.  I need the cylinder to stay in position and the box to move along the top (tangent) face of the roller.

1JPG.JPG 2.JPG

I am not sure this is possible currently, also if there is offical way to describe this in the 3d world that would really help me out.

thank you

Jack

Message 4 of 6
joel.palioca

Hi Jack,

Okay I think I better understand what you are looking to do.  Looks like you are creating a basic conveyor system.

In regards to if this is possible let me ask a different question to you, what is your intended output or result that you are looking to get?  Is it simply a video, or are you looking to include physics so that friction, gravity etc. are taken into account for FEA related work?

Neither are options today, but it may help me to find a way to trick it into working or atleast provide the correct context around what you are wanting the product to you.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
jjcolletta
in reply to: joel.palioca

Sorry for the late reply

I am just looking for simple motion to illustrate some other simple interations and alignments.

Thank you

Message 6 of 6
joel.palioca

If you currently have access to Fusion 360 Ultimate, you may want to take a look at the animations environment.  It was something we just added with the last release, it may be able to give you what you are looking for.  Its mostly used for creation videos of motion and breakouts of designs, I think it may be able to be used in a similar fashion for you.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report