Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mold making, deriving interior volumes?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tdtwohy
1453 Views, 7 Replies

Mold making, deriving interior volumes?

Hi guys,

So I'm working on a simple "pot" shape, and I want to build a printable positive of the interior negative shape... think if a shelled sphere with a 40% hole in the top...

How would to make the interior negative shape (with any details, bumps etc. Intact) as a positive?

I know you can get this with inventor, but I'd like to learn how in 360.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
schneik-adsk
in reply to: tdtwohy

Start here...
In the model workspace, under create choose Fluid Volume and set the type to external.
It will get you started.

This command assumes that you model is a solid.
Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 8
tdtwohy
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Well it's time to say it again… Wow… Just wow!

Took a few minutes to figger it out... but AGAIN you guys have a useful tool for us (well... me 🙂 )

I wish I could show you the results (client confidential and all), they're generally quite epic thanks to the great new tools you guys keep pumping out… I can hardly wait to make more cool models using this powerful software, gosh I sound like an advertisement.

Thanks, gnarly-engineering-type guys!

Heart

Message 4 of 8
srcampbell
in reply to: tdtwohy

I know this is a pretty old thread, but it fits in with what I'm trying to accomplish.  I have a CAD file from GrabCAD of a "20-410 neck finish", the threaded neck of a water bottle.

I'm a complete novice to Fusion 360 and any kind of CAD, but I was able to follow along, but I end up with cube with my positive inside.  I can extrude down to the top of the positive, but I can't remove the center (interior of neck) or the positive so that I can create a coupler for the water bottle.  Any help would be appreciated.

Message 5 of 8

HI Campbell

Would you like to share a picture or file so we can understand what you want to do and what is wrong with it???

Message 6 of 8

NeckFinish.png

I'm looking to make a female water bottle neck finish so that I can 3D print a coupler.

Message 7 of 8

Just came across this thread.  I hope you have already found a solution to this since you asked the question so long ago.  But in case you did not, the best solution for you would be:

• Design the main body or component that requires the female neck in the same file as the male neck body.
  • Move the male neck into the desired position.
  • Use the Combine command to "cut" the male neck body from the main body.

Tip: you may want to fill the hole in the male neck first, otherwise you'll be left with solid material where the hole was and you'll have to remove that after the Combine.

Tyler Henderson
Principal User Experience Designer

Message 8 of 8

In my opinion, you have to make a coupler manually from scratch and make threads in it. Other wise if you combine-cut the coupler, so it will stuck where thread ends meet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report