Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Error - Kernel Operation Failed

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
karthur1
1062 Views, 14 Replies

Modeling Error - Kernel Operation Failed

Is there anyway to patch this surface so I can get a solid?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
karyeka
in reply to: karthur1

Hi,

Can you attach the model (surface)?

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 3 of 15
karthur1
in reply to: karyeka

Anand,

I am actually using Inventor Fusion.  Not sure if Fusion 360 will give this error or not.  If it works with Fusion 360, please let me know.

I uploaded the file to here.  There is an image in the zip there that will help you locate the surface.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 4 of 15
karyeka

Hi Kirk,

I opened your file in Inventor Fusion but I am unable to locate the exact loop that you are trying to patch. I rotated the model to exactly match your image but looks like the model is different. The browser structure (number of quilts, unstitched surfaces, etc) is different.

Can you create a new group of the surfaces that are involved in your Patch operation and upload the updated file? Another option could be to just isolate the participating surfaces into a new file.

That way I could reproduce it at my end (and also in Fusion 360).

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 5 of 15
karthur1

Anand,

Sorry for the confusion. I just downloaded the file and I see the same tree, however, Body 3 is active and Body 1 is suppressed.  The surface that is giving the error is under Body1.

In order to get to the unstitchable surface, toggle off the visibility of Body3, toggle on the visibility of Body. Expand Surfaces, and toggle on DefaultGroup:4

The surface is here...

2013-08-26_0734.png

Message 6 of 15
lure23

If this is for the Inventor Fusion, could someone at Autodesk move it to the right forum. Thanks.

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 7 of 15
karyeka
in reply to: lure23

This problem shows up in Fusion 360 as well.

Kirk, we have logged this as defect FUS-8134 internally. However, the model has errors. Can you elaborate on how you created or imported the model? Geometrically it is tolerant and seems to have issues. Lot of operations will struggle on such a model.

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 8 of 15
karyeka
in reply to: lure23

This problem shows up in Fusion 360 as well.

Kirk, we have logged this as defect FUS-8134 internally. However, the model has errors. Can you elaborate on how you created or imported the model? Geometrically it is tolerant and seems to have issues. Lot of operations may struggle on such a model.

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 9 of 15
karthur1

Anand,

This model was imported from a .stp file. I first brought this into Inventor 2013.  When I imported it in, Inventor found several errors as well. After and exhaustive effort, I gave up on healing the errors using Inventor.  I thought that I could bring this model into Fusion and using the tools there to heal the errors.  I then planned on exporting the healed model back to Inventor.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 10 of 15
schneik-adsk

Here is a link to a sat file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhcwmarkslaiglc/120424.sat

Let me know once you have it as I will take the link down.  The geometry is messy as it has been healed too often. If you have the very original source file I might be able to get you a better version.

I used Fusion 360 to create some new patches, extended some ajacent faces and trimmed back some slivers to get it all to stitch. The patch is fugly but it makes a solid.

Kevin Schneider
Message 11 of 15
karthur1
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Kevin,

I opened your file in Inventor 2013.  It shows two areas of "Loop Orientation" issues when I open the file.  The issues are in this area.  Are there any tricks to correcting this type of issue?

Thanks for "Fixing" the other area.

Kirk

2013-09-03_0714.png

Message 12 of 15
schneik-adsk

let me have a look over the weekend.
Kevin Schneider
Message 13 of 15
jakefowler

Hi Kirk,

Are you able to share the STEP file that you originally imported into Inventor? It's possible that these issues were introduced somewhere along the translation process, and with the original STEP we should be able to diagnose that.

Many thanks!
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 14 of 15
karthur1
in reply to: jakefowler

Sure.  Its too large to post here, but I can send it to you directly.

Message 15 of 15
jakefowler

Hi Kirk,

That's great, many thanks! Please email it to jake[dot]fowler[at]autodesk[dot]com, and we'll take a look. (If that doesn't work, let me know and we can figure out a different transfer method.)

Thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report