Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging faces in imported STL turned into BRep...some work some do not

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
nkloski
3282 Views, 10 Replies

Merging faces in imported STL turned into BRep...some work some do not

Hi all....I imported an STL file into Fusion 360, and comverted it to a BRep object...that went OK, and I desired to merge the many faces into a much smaller number of faces.

If you see the attached screen capture, the top of the object is one smooth face.  Originally it was a whole bunch of triangles, but I was able to use the Select Chain command in the Merge command, and the tool automatically selected all faces and made it smooth...e.xactly the desired behavior.

But if you look at the selected faces in blue:

Capture.PNG

Fusion 360 does NOT automatically select those faces, no matter if I sleect "Chain" or not...I would have to manually select all faces to Merge.  How can I select the faces all the way around to merge them into one cylindrical shape?

I have attached the file as well as the screenshot to this post.  Thanks!

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
joel.palioca
in reply to: nkloski

Hello,

Could you please attach the original .stl file or the .f3d file?  Right now the file that shows up is a .stp file and I want to make sure I replicate your workflow correctly so that I can help you out.

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 11
Phil.E

Use the Selection Filter, the View Cube, and window selection.

Step_1_face_filtering.png

Step 2: window select the faces you want to merge. Because your part is round, and there are faces inside it, this will not completely do the trick, but it should help!

By turning off Select Through, the window selection will only grab the visible faces, not those on the backside, but also not those on the inside.

step_2_window_select.png

Step_3_complete.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 11
nkloski
in reply to: joel.palioca

Hi Joel..here is the foot file, thanks!

Nick Kloski
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
nkloski
in reply to: Phil.E

Thanks, Phil! Is the reason fusion did not select all of those outside faces because there are also inside faces? The top faces selected perfectly, I am wondering why those side ones did not. It would be awesome to just somehow select the two loops for the top and bottom, and tell Fusion to merge all faces between those loops, but the auto-select would be even better!

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
schneik-adsk

This is actually a pretty difficult problem.

You got lucky because when you used the merge command the edges the faces you have selected made a small patch that looked smooth. It was not actually a cylinder. If you try to select all the faces and create a smooth patch it will create a patch but if you look closely at it it will be very wrinkled. It will be wrinkled because it's taking the top edge which is faceted and basically creating a minimum energy surface to the other, bottom edge which is also faceted that faceting of edges will introduce a waviness or pinching of the surface you create.

The team is working on converting mesh models to analytic B rep models. This would allow you to detect the approximate or precise diameter of the selected faces and replace them all with a perfect cylinder, or plane. This technology is a ways off so in the meantime the best thing to do is to use work geometry on the faceted faces, create sketches and then model a new body using the mesh as reference or underlay.

Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 11
nkloski
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Thanks Kevein...upon thinkign about what you said, yes it does sound like a difficult problem. I am always a fan of suggesting augmentation of computer thinking with human intuition...have the program ASK me if something is intended to be cylindrical, and base the resulting model on the answers that I give.

Now to your post: I understand 2/3 of what you said...I know how to create sketches, and model a new body, but are you referring to something specific when you say "use work geometry" ?

Also, I would assume that what you are saying would apply only to those rounded features....I have downloaded a few STL files that had flat areas, merged them, and 3D printed them with no problems in the mesh at all, so is it just for the rounded surfaces?

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
schneik-adsk

Just the rounded surfaces.

As to my work geometry point. I will use the three point plane under the construct panein the modeling workspace to place a plane using three planar points on a mesh face that should be flat.  This way I can ensure I am working with a perfectly flat plane in the right place on the model.

Kevin Schneider
Message 9 of 11
nkloski
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Gotcha, thanks!

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
ddbacker
in reply to: Phil.E

Sometimes it works sometimes not (when the faces are concave): fusion freezes completely.. after 5 minutes waiting I quit... again and again..

Strange that this program does not function well doing quite "simple" things such as merging surfaces..

Maybe something to do with the origin of the body ?: a to a body converted, "multifaces" .stl file..

A fantastic program but with some very essential flaws.. sometimes very very slowly... I mean very.

Message 11 of 11
TrippyLighting

Modifications of triangulated mesh files generally are not the domain of CAD software. Autodesk Meshmixer is often a much better alternative.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report