Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyshot Compatibility and Rendering Question

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2090 Views, 10 Replies

Keyshot Compatibility and Rendering Question

So after deliberating a long time, I finally purchased Keyshot to get in on the much anticipated Fusion 360 + Keyshot plugin action. To my disappointment, I found out that the plugin was only compatible with Keyshot 4...unlike the 5 HD that I just blew nearly a grand on. I know that one can simply export/import the supported file type and I am comfortable doing so (despite the extra steps to have to reassign materials after each update).

One of the main reasons I bought Keyshot was having the ability to produce renders with an image backplate, as opposed to having to photo-edit the model into their environment afterwards. I guess now I am wondering if this purchase justify my needs since the idea of asking for a Keyshot “downgrade” seems a bit ridiculous and probably impossible. Are there ways to render image backgrounds along with the model in Fusion 360?

Any ideas or insight helps, thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
kim.portman
in reply to: Anonymous

I faced the same problem using a KeyShot 5.1 Demo version. The current KeyShot plugin seems to work with KS 4 version, haven't tried it because don't have KS 4 installed (only KS 5 in my Win8 machine). When trying the plugin I got the error message saying "the keyshot executable could not be found".

If you are using Windows and comfortable with regedit utility, here is the solution: the plug-in scripts read Windows registry looking for Keyshot 4 settings, and if not found, hard set the path to KeyShot 4 executables. Now the simplest solution is the following (if you don't have KS 4 installed): define in the Windows registry a new key (string type) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Luxion\KeyShot 4\BinName = "C:\Program Files\KeyShot5\bin\keyshot5.exe".

Voilà...the plug-in thinks it's calling KS 4 but goes to KS 5 instead. Seems to work fine with "Export to KeyShot" and "Update to KeyShot" commands.

Kim

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 11
cekuhnen

there are other much cheaper and much more powerfull solutions that this terrible keyshot.

I never understand what people follow such an overpriced and dumped down software ...

Take a look at Thea for example GPU and CPU rendering full light control and much more advanced material and render settings

for 1/3 of the price.

http://www.thearender.com/cms/

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hmmmm... don't quite understand. Why so negative? We use the program daily and are quite pleased with it. Granted there are other solutions out there that are cheaper, but for our needs the quick results we get from Keyshot are worth paying the little extra.
The live linking from Solid Edge, HDR Light Studio, Modo and Fusion 360 makes it an even better solution for everyday work.
We can produce photorealistic renderings, that many clients can't decern from real photos, in minutes not hours. We can't ask for more.
Message 5 of 11
cekuhnen

Not negative, just realistic, emotions are hard to read through text.

Live linking is in deed a perfect tool, this can be a time saver if your host application cannot export parts well, but that hardly is the case today.

So in this case KS might save few mouse clicks. I can relink data easily with my workflow by swaping out data if needed as well.

In regards to render in minutes not hours, if somebody needs hours today then they do something wrong.

All KS offers is HDRI IBL with a shadow catcher shader for the ground plate.

In nearly all engines can you make a template file, save the HDRI as the env rendering and call it good. This takes literally two mins to do.

And if you want to have more control over light, KS renderings are notoriously looking like pure IBL, you can in Modo to everything else add another light

and do the same and more and as a designer have more control. If you install a cheap CUDA card around 200 to 300 your rendertime will pretty much put KS finale rendering to shame.

I see the point if a client is already happy with the KS output- then thats fine. But does it have to stop here?

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 11
cekuhnen

just today I did an indepth comparision again with KS 5 and noticed that what they sell as photorealistic and physically accutate is a drastic simplification of the light models to maintain render speed.

The Cornel box with preview and full GI finale render settings is the same.

ks 2.jpg

Shadows in edges are too dark looking either like an ambient occlusion effect or a lack of diffuse bounces.

If I set this in Cycles to low diffuse bounce I get the same result.

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.43.58 PM.png

Thats another reason why I personally think KS is limited. Even if client like the images, maybe they understanding of what a good image is, is limited as well.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 7 of 11
prainsberry

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that the Keyshot 5 plugin is on the way.  We are doing some final testing right now and should ahve it out shortly.  Sorry for the delay.  If you are interested in testing it PM me and I will see about getting you an advanced copy.

Patrick Rainsberry
Developer Advocate, Fusion 360
Message 8 of 11
mark2t

Wanted to gove Thea a try, but there is no output from either 360 or SolidWorks that Thea can read. 

Message 9 of 11

When he's ready for the plugin KeyShot 5?

Regards

Fabio

Message 10 of 11

We are still working on getting the plugin finalized on the store. If you private message me your email address I will get you an advanced copy if you'd like to try it out.

Patrick Rainsberry
Developer Advocate, Fusion 360
Message 11 of 11
cekuhnen
in reply to: mark2t

I think you can export as STL or OBJ. That will work.

Currently Fusion export options for render meshes is somewhat limited.

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report