Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intersecting sculpting

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tt.dechangy
847 Views, 4 Replies

intersecting sculpting

Hi, 

I am trying Fusion sculpting and it's quiet nice. But I have also a strong desagreement because in product design I need as much accuracy as possible. In that way I would like to be able to intersect defferent sculpted bodies and/or intersect projected drawings to make new edges on the desired body. The Boundary option of normal creation could probably also be useful and maybe others... But for the moment, this intersect options seems to me as a must, without what the sculpt option loses half of it's potential.

I need to project prefect shapes like a circle.. on a sculpted part and continue sculpting it with the choice to hold the cercle area fixed, or empty it, or whatever else. 

++ Now, if we could put measures on the projected drawing this could bring the subject one step further !

Thanks for your attention and your I wait for your answer.

Best regards.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
shilei.zhang
in reply to: tt.dechangy

Hi, tt’

I am so glad you are trying sculpting in Fusion, I am also a big fan of this function.

I agree with you about the importance of accuracy in product design, actually, in this case, the Match command would help a lot.

Once you get most of your jobs done, you might want to keep some circle as accurate as possible

I made a case to show you how this command works,  maybe it will help you for most cases.

2014-12-18_A.png

2014-12-18_B.png

2014-12-18_C.png

2014-12-18_D.png

2014-12-18_E.png

if you think this is not enough, i recommend you to use parametric bodies where you need to control the size, and the blend those parametric bodies and T-spline bodies together.

And for the usage of intersection, it is nice, but once you get to know Fusion better, maybe you will find other ways to the same job.

Hope what i said helps, if you still have any doubt, please feel free to let me know.

Cheers

Message 3 of 5
tt.dechangy
in reply to: shilei.zhang

OK, this seems nice.

In the mean time it stil doesn't allow to project drawings on more complex shapes. I understand that this must be due to the interpolation shapes we see in oposit to the original cubic shape. So to make a projection line, Fusion must make a reverse work to place this line on the basic cubic shape. But still, i believe it could bring lots of possibilities. This is the future of 3D, parametric inside full sculpting.

Do you think/know if there is a plan from Autodesk to make this possible ?

I encoutered another little issue : When I sharpened 4 coincident edges, instead of showing a nice square, it made a circle. How could I make a perfect shape with sharp edges ? would your suggestion work for this too ? 

Thanks for your answer !

Message 4 of 5
shilei.zhang
in reply to: tt.dechangy

Hi, so glad my answer works for you.

About the issue of projecting drawings on complex shapes, we do have an idea station for  receiving suggestions like yours, you could log in and summit your thoughts that might help us make Fusion better, and we would be full of gratitude about your efforts.  If any suggestions look reasonable and feasible, the developers have a big chance to consider adding them into future releases .

Projecting drawings on complex shapes is very common in NURBS modeling applications, and I think if it is possible, I would love to see that function in Fusion.

About this sharpened 4 coincident edges shows a circle, I think that is possible, the reason is the algorithm of T-spline applying to conversion from box mode to smooth mode.

I will demonstrate this with some examples.

2014-12-19_A.png

2014-12-19_B.png

2014-12-19_C.png

2014-12-19_D.png

2014-12-19_E.png

In case you don’t use boxy mode a lot, I recommend you to use ALT+1/2/3 to check your sculpted model often for getting the idea about how Fusion gets a smooth model from a boxy one, it is pretty helpful for controlling complex shapes in the future.

Hope those could help you with your doubts, please inform me if any query remains.

Cheer.

Message 5 of 5
tt.dechangy
in reply to: shilei.zhang

Ok, thanks, I'll see how to manage next.
I posted the suggestion on the dedicated page.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report