Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inset edge in parametric mode...how to offset by specific distance

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nkloski
832 Views, 3 Replies

Inset edge in parametric mode...how to offset by specific distance

Hi...I have a cylinder I created in Sculpt mode with some nice curves to it.  The thing  I am trying to reproduce has a small bump that starts out at 2.5mm below the top.  

When I "Insert Edge" I only get a number between 0 and 100 percent, and not any specific distance.  Maybe parametric mode does not support this, but I want to say "Inset edge 2.5mm away from the edge I selected to start the insertion from".  This functionality should not be constricted by the "next" T-sline line...If I need something 2.5mm down the object then that is where I would like to put it.

I realize that the Sketch environment allows for precise measurements, but I want to create a beautiful T-sline curve...I just want to start and end it at the right place.

I also tried creating construction planes but ran into a couple of problems:

-construction planes cannot be offset/selected from a T-spline "face"...I can only select the global plane and figure out the measurements myself

-I cannot snap the "insert edge" command to a plane so I have to eyeball it

-The "Insert Edge --> Offset" functionality does not seem to do anything, even though I can select a construction plane

-The "Insert Edge --> Offset --> Measure" never seems to change...that seems liek what I am looking for but maybe offset is not what I am looking for.

Any suggestions on workflow, or am I going abou this incorrectly?  In the attached screenshot you can see the top of my object, and some planes I have created but again, I have to eyeball it.

But then again, again, Parametric Mode might ALL be about eyeballing it, and precise measurements maybe should not be expected there, especially on the side of a T-spline curve (would be great to be able to "freeze" a point on a Tspline.)

Thanks!

offset.PNG

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
kingson138
in reply to: nkloski

Hi to offset a construction plane up and down or to any postion is not possible at the Parametric Mode in this version. You have to stop recording to go to Direct Modeling Mode. Then you can go to Sculpt workspace and the construction planes can be moved to any position you wanted. I am not sure if the new update coming on September 2, 2014 will add that capability. I had been requesting that many times and nothing seems to had been done. This is in fact a missing feature.

If you are at the  "Create Form" workspace at the parametric mode you have to "Finish form" before going into Direct Modeling Mode.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 3 of 4
nkloski
in reply to: kingson138

Thanks!  It would be awesome to have a list maintained by Autodesk that shows the discrepancy between what you can do in DM and Sculpt/parametric modes..would help a lot.

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
kingson138
in reply to: nkloski

After a few updates I noticed that the ability to move Offset Planes to any position had been added to the "Create Form" and "Create Base Feature" environments. But the offset planes have to be constructed in either environment, then they can be moved to any position by selecting the planes and using the "Move" command. Offset Planes  in the  parametric mode cannot be moved in those two environments (Create Form and Create Base Feature) . Only Offset Planes constructed in the  non parametric environments can be moved. After "Finish Form" or "Finish Base Feature" the moved planes will stay at the new position. Offset Planes created in the "Create Form" workspace can also be moved in the "Create Base Feature" workspace or envoronment. The reverse is also true.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report